Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

ASP and PHP

Nov 28, 2012 7:03 PM

I just installed Dreamweave VS version 6.

The installer asked me to use Dreamweaver as default tool to open ASP, PHP after installation.

I would like to know does Dreamweave support PHP and ASP.

Can I use Dreamweaver as a tool to develop PHP and ASP.Net web application?

Your information and help is great appreciated,

Regards,

Iccsi

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 28, 2012 8:08 PM   in reply to iccsi

ASP, no. Use Microsoft Expression Web since ASP is a Microsoft technology.

PHP, yes.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/first_dynamic_site_pt 1.html.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 5:49 AM   in reply to iccsi

It's just standard. You can develop ASP/ASP.NET etc. using DW, but DW provides no support for server interactions in those languages.  After all, it's all just a text file, and DW can write the code as well as Notepad.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to iccsi

I disagree with Murray.

But he's right.

Dreamweaver is, primarily, a code editor. And your computer's operating system is now asking you what files containing code ought to be "associated" with Dreamweaver. For example, you may have .JPG files associated with Adobe's Photoshop. But if you have a different .JPG viewer, you may wish to use that as, if all you want to do is identify the picture and not edit it, Photoshop may be overkill.

So, go ahead. Answer "yes" to both php and ASP files, unless you have another code editor (like Microsoft's Expression Web) you would prefer to use with ASP files. It's your option.

In any case, you can always drag and drop the files onto a Dreamweaver icon (if Windoze supports that) or use File>Open… and choose the file. And, from within a defined site, Dreamweaver will tend to open all files in that site.

Same as you do in Photoshop with .JPG files if you have a lighter-weight JPEG viewer that you prefer.

And, from within your operating system, you can always reassign a preferred application to a file extension later on, if you don't like what the current default is.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 4:34 AM   in reply to iccsi

If not, should developer handle by him or herself?

That's the answer.

DW has no inherent support for ASP.Net - other than allowing you to enter the code in code view.  It's just text at that point.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points