Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Project Manager fails to consolidate a project

Nov 28, 2012 8:12 PM

When trying to trim a project, towards the end the error message "An unknown error occured during the Project Manager operation.  Please save your project and retry the operation". Of course, the advice causes the same outcome.  Windows 8 Pro.  CS6 Master Collection.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 28, 2012 8:51 PM   in reply to Kentfry

Ah, the indeterminate "something went wrong, but I can't say what" error message...

Sorry, but there's no quick fix for this. I first got the error message when the Project Manager ran into a file it thought was corrupted (or just didn't like it), so instead of asking to skip (or automated skipping) it just shut down spitting out the error message, without leaving the attempted backup.

How I found the problematic file (luckily, I had a short project):

1. I 'Select All' in my main sequence

2. Copy & Paste into a new "Untitled Project" timeline and tried to run the Project Manager

3. If it resulted in an error I would delete the largest/longest clip and try the PM again...

4. Repeat Step 3 until the PM is successful.

5. Recall original project and make problematic file 'Offline'

6. Run a successful PM instance

7. Use Windows Explorer to manually copy over the problematic file into the Project Backup (the folder the PM created) folder.

8. Relink problematic file.

Not really practical, but the only way I know to find and work around the error message. For the record, nothing may be wrong with the file, the PM just wants to

I'm sure others will chime in, hopefully Adobe will fix this issue soon. Project Manager is a great tool to have....when it works.

Hope this helps!

- Jax

Windows 7 Ultimate

Production Premium CS 5.5

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to Jax24135

I have gone back and forth with this issue, talked to Adobe technical help, tried every possible work-around and nothing works and it seems no one knows has a solution.   This is a very important part of the production process. 

ADOBE, shouldn't you guys be on top of this?  

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 3:52 PM   in reply to glenneowen

Do you have enough physical drive space to handle the space for the new files? That's the first thing I'd look at. Since Premiere Pro won't consolidate media from Long GOP formats, you do need more room than usual.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 4:59 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

12 TB free.  I went through all the exercises with a very nice guy in India, who works for Adobe.  We did the whole hard drive thing, the re-install thing and the list goes on.  I'm not mad, just frustrated.  The Project manager worked in 5.5.  It doesn't in Cs6.  I have multiple projects going and I need to condense and archive them and this is what Project Manager should be able to easily do.  I would love to see a solution soon.

Thanks for your reply.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 5:37 PM   in reply to glenneowen

What codec is your source media?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 12:28 PM   in reply to lasvideo

It is a variety.  Depends on the cameras we use, I have stills mixed in, etc. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 12:31 PM   in reply to glenneowen

Well, as Kevin said, if you have h.264 files in the mix it will not trim those (due to long GOP structure issues). That may influence the whole process.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 2:09 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Again, in Cs5.5 there was never a problem.  Now in Cs6 there is.  On my side, nothing about the way I edit or what I use has changed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points