Skip navigation
PKFlo
Currently Being Moderated

To be able to Export Keyword Tags to Excel or as a CSF file

Nov 29, 2012 6:33 AM

Tags: #file #tags #organizer #10 #excel #photoshop_elements_10 #comma-separated

I am using PSE 10 in Windows 7 environment. Have thousands of photos and hundreds of Keyword tags and many Categories and Sub-Categories.

It would be nice to have these Tags & Categoris names in an Excel file (or, comma separated text file)  that I can use to easily see what Tags I have so that I don't create new tags with slightly different names. Such an easy-to-access and mange Excel file will be very helpful, I think, to the overall cration and management of Tags.

I have done quite a bit of research on the web and also in PSE forum, but have not found any ways to do this.

Is this possible? Sure would appreciate any help and ideas.

Thank you so much.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 29, 2012 7:06 AM   in reply to PKFlo

The catalog is an Sqlite database. If you are acquainted with databases and sql query language, download one the free sqlite managers and look for the tag table. Most of those utilities can export csv files to be read in Excel.

Users with PSE versions 6 to 8 can use the free and excellent psedbtool by John R Ellis. http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/index.htm

Otherwise, from the Organizer you can export the tags and categories in an xml format : menu on the right of the keywords panel 'Save keyword tags to file...'. However I don't know how to manage that xml format.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Nov 29, 2012 7:10 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

Yes you can click on the dropdown arrow next to the green plus symbol for Keywords and save to file, but the XML format is really for importing the hierarchy into other versions of Elements Organizer.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 29, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to 99jon

99jon wrote:

Yes you can click on the dropdown arrow next to the green plus symbol for Keywords and save to file, but the XML format is really for importing the hierarchy into other versions of Elements Organizer.

Thanks for that precision, that's something I sometimes use.
    But that does not help PKFlo... I have downloaded an xml editor, but I don't know how to use it. Maybe someone has a clue about how to extract the tags list in a simple, common format ?

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Nov 29, 2012 7:35 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

It may be possible to import the XML file as a table in Excel although I've never tried it.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/excel-help/import-xml-data-HP0102064 05.aspx#BMimport_an_xml_file_as_an_xml_list_wit

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points