Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Neat Video vs. RE:Vision DE:Noise

Nov 29, 2012 11:42 AM

I have a 1080p sequence I shot with bad lighting (live workshop - couldn't control it).  I'm able to improve the look using the Shadow/Highlight effect in Premiere CS6 but unfortunately that also increases the noise.  I have the RE:Vision Effections collection so I tried using their DE:Noise filter and was able produce a fairly good compromise between noise and image softness.  Unfortunately it's incredibly slow and took about 21 hours to render the sequence.  I hate to wait another 21 hours each time I tweak something and was wondering if Neat Video would be much faster.  I know they claim V3 has CUDA support (I have a Quadro 4000) and I don't believe DE:Noise has any GPU support.  I would try the free trial to compare speeds but it doesn't support 1080p resolution.  Does anyone know how these two plug-ins compare in speed?  What about quality - would Neat Video look any better than DE:Noise?

Roy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 29, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to illucine

Hi,

Neat video uses both gpu and cpu.  it has a performance setup that will test the cpu and the gpu and advise what best to use it.

try to also use the rgb curves,

good luck

Baz

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 4:27 PM   in reply to illucine

Neat Video is still going to take several hours for lengthy sequences.  If we need to de-noise a 60 min sequence it can easily take 6-7 hours using an i7 + GTX570 GPU.

Denoising just takes time!

We tend to only add the denoise once the edit is locked down, and also make it thr first effects applied so that any colour correction etc is done on the denoised frames.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 7:02 PM   in reply to illucine

Instead of Shadow/Highlight, try the middle gray adjustment on the Input Levels of the Three Way Color Corrector.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to illucine

I tested Neat Video and DE;noise on their noise reduction ability not on the time it would take to finish the task.

I found DE;noise to give me a better result.

Picture quality was more impostant to me then duration.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 3:57 PM   in reply to illucine

Disagree with Ann, 'cos my experience is completely opposite.

You can download the demo and judge on your own.

Take into account the differences between demo and pro editions.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 3:23 PM   in reply to illucine

Give Dark Energy for After Effects a shot.  Very fast, killer denoise results, amazing film simulation.

http://darkenergyforaftereffects.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 3:39 PM   in reply to ejsanch1

I second Dark Energy.  Simply stunning results with noise removal, faaaaaaar better than Neat Video.  (But hey, for $500, it damn well better be.)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points