Skip navigation
lexluther313
Currently Being Moderated

Layer Mask not working

Nov 29, 2012 10:14 AM

Tags: #cs5.5 #masking_issue

I am using Photoshop CS5 I am trying to use a layer mask when I apply the mask the paint brush has no effect on the layer. I made sure I was using my default black and white colors and I insured the the mask was selected on the layer panel my brush flow is at 100 and still nothing happens

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 29, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to lexluther313

One other place to check, to make sure that the Layer Mask is active, is the Channels Panel.

Also, do you have any Selection in the Layer Mask, maybe one that is Hidden?

Another question: when you went to paint into the Layer Mask, did the Colors change automatically, or did you have to change them, yourself? That should be automatic, if an Alpha Channel/Mask is active.

If it IS active, and the Paint Brush is not painting IN, or OUT, then I would Reset the Brush Tool.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I'm having similar problem. Using Photoshop CS5.1 I am trying to select layer mask. I have active layer /highlighted blue/ and when I click on layer mask, white border shows around layer mask thumbnail. I select brush, check mode: normal, opacity: 100%, flow: 100%, colors set to black and white ->but instead of revealing, brush is painting on image.

When I use layer mask on photos everything works fine. Now I'm trying to use it on vector shape made in photoshop and is just not working.

What am I doing wrong?

I have already restarted Photoshop and replaced PS settings.

I have pressed "Q" to deselect quick mask. I wasn't using it - just to make sure.

What else can I do?

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2013 8:18 PM   in reply to da.nii

You cannot paint on a vector mask.

Are you trying to make part of a vector shape transparent?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 1:26 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 5:01 AM   in reply to da.nii

In step 16, you shouldn't be working with a vector Shape layer. You should be working with the new pixel layer which was to be made in step 15.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 5:53 AM   in reply to conroy

Yes, correct. My mistake.

I do select pixel mask, but for some reason brush doesn't work the same way as shown in step 16 - revealing the outline.

Instead it looks more like a smear.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points