Skip navigation
Ocoee
Currently Being Moderated

Elements 11 viewer

Nov 29, 2012 11:21 AM

I use ps 4, and I'm looking at buying elements 11 for a friend.  My first frustration is just looking at pictures. I don't want to import, I just want a folder view like bridge.  Do I have to allow a search of my entire computer before I can use the elements viewer? Can't I just view my folders and pics, and if I want to create a new group or album do that later on as needed basis?

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Nov 29, 2012 11:28 AM   in reply to Ocoee

Yes. There is no need to use the Organizer. You can simply use the Editor on a stand alone basis. From a folder simply right-click on an image and choose Open With >> Photoshop Elements Editor

The Organizer doesn’t work like Bridge. It makes links to the photos you wish to manage.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 29, 2012 11:44 AM   in reply to Ocoee

Since you mention PSE 4 and Bridge, I'm guessing this is maybe on a mac? You can use many views in the finder to preview your images, then open them into the PSE editor. In a finder window in recent versions of PSE you have the choice of coverflow view, for instance:

FinderScreenSnapz001.jpg

When you see a thumbnail that looks promising, press the Space bar for a larger preview. Tap it again to close the larger view.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 29, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to Ocoee

Ocoee wrote:

I don't want to import, I just want a folder view like bridge.

There may be a problem of vocabulary here. In Elements, you don't really 'import', which would mean copying the pictures files. You 'get files from...' English is not my native language but here I would use 'register' instead of import. The principle is very simple : there are several ways to 'register' files, which means creating a list of picture files with their location on your computer and their properties. You can decide which files or folders you want to organize, you can use other tools to automatically scan all your computer or only given folders.

Once the files are registered, a thumbnail is created for quick visual search and a lot of exif metadata is written in the database for powerful searches. So, the answer is obvious : you can't 'browse folders' if the files are not 'registered'.

Can't I just view my folders and pics, ?

To do that, I would be extremely happy simply with the Explorer/Finder and the editor as default editing software.

...and if I want to create a new group or album do that later on as needed basis?

If you are able to select a set pictures for a given creation project (by folders for instance), you can create a special catalog  and 'register' only those pictures. Then you have all the tools to group pictures, rate them, write captions, notes, stack them, export them in another format, create books, slideshows, cards etc. So you could either work mainly in Explorer or any other free browser and for some special tasks, use the Organizer.

But I don't think such an 'hybrid' organizing method is going to last long. Either you won't get enough experience with the Organizer to take full advantage of its power, or you'll soon discover that you have to be coherent and use it 'fully'. That also mean being able to use its important backup/restore feature and being able to move the catalogs and all your 'libraries' to other drives or computers with newer versions of the software.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Nov 29, 2012 12:38 PM   in reply to Ocoee

Yes that is correct as long as the images are not also in iPhoto.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points