Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop won't save/overwrite an image

Nov 29, 2012 12:41 PM

Tags: #photoshop #save #cs5.1

This is with Photoshop CS5.1.  It goes through the process as usual, I save it, it asks if I want to overwrite the prior one, I say yes -- but when I go to upload the new image -- it hasn't changed!  This just started happening last couple days -- what is the problem here, anyone know, anyone deal with this before??

Very inconvenient!!  Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 29, 2012 11:29 PM   in reply to batikdruid

Well, where are you storing the files? What system do you use? Which saving method? Could it be that you are having your folders mixed up? Other than that I could only imagine security/ permissions issues that prevent the files from actually being overwritten, but that by all means should trigger some warning at the system level, even if PS doesn't notice...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 11:33 PM   in reply to batikdruid

When you say upload image. I am thinking you have a web site. Don't forget that your browser has a cache.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 30, 2012 8:07 AM   in reply to Silkrooster

+1 to what Silkrooster has said. 

I use WebDrive to provide mapped drive access to my own web sites, and once in a while when I upload web material it doesn't show up right away via http.  There's some caching/update process in the server as far as I can tell, which can delay the file replacement.  This seems to help keep you from having conflicts with people who may be downloading (the old version of) your file at the same moment you're uploading it.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to batikdruid

If the image is selected in the Finder, or showing a preview somewhere, Apple thinks it is "in use" which won't allow you to overwrite it - this is more apparent when you are working off the server. If you use Finder (or similar) to locate the item and then open in PS from there, you will need to deselect the item in the Finder before you can overwrite it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 30, 2012 3:16 PM   in reply to batikdruid

Adobe will tell you to save your files locally then use the OS facilities to copy them to the server.

Seems pretty bogus to me, though, that Photoshop would imply that the file was saved when it really wasn't.  Writing files from computer applications isn't exactly new technology.  Is this a typical thing with Apple systems?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 5:06 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I deal with this issue every day as I work off a server. For me there are 2 ways around it - as you mention, work from the local machine and copy to the server, or just ensure I don't have any files highlighted when I try to overwrite them.

With the latter, PS will go through the whole process and 'look' like it's doing what it's supposed to but the file doesn't change, and you get no errors. It just comes down to Adobe/Apple apps thinking the file is "in use".

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 30, 2012 5:55 PM   in reply to Rik Ramsay

Rik Ramsay wrote:

With the latter, PS will go through the whole process and 'look' like it's doing what it's supposed to but the file doesn't change, and you get no errors. It just comes down to Adobe/Apple apps thinking the file is "in use".

How is it possible in 2012 for an application - let alone an insanely expensive professional application - to fail to write a file yet emit no error message?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 6:36 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Because the operating system has bugs that fail to return any errors in some cases?

Because the operating system has bugs that return errors when errors should not be possible?

Because the operating system has bugs that make it look like the save worked, even though it didn't, and never returns any errors?

Both OSes have problems saving to file servers.  We workaround them and log them as we find them -- but there's a lot of problems.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 30, 2012 7:22 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

So you're saying you can write an entire file, delete the original file, and rename the freshly written temporary file, all without the slightest indication of a failure?  Even if one were to accept that (which I don't, really, but I don't know OSX very well), knowing that file writing may be problematic you don't already have double- and triple-checks after it's done in place to see that it's been written successfully?

Given my software engineering experience I can well imagine what your management thinks of projects that don't lead to gee-whiz new features they can publish in the features list.  I can also envision what the code looks like (and I'm sure I've seen and cleaned-up worse).  It's clear it's touchy given the trouble you had making it work in the background.  But you folks really need to find the time to make it even more robust.

Please don't get irritated with me for pointing out the obvious.  Channel the energy instead into making your product better.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 7:34 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

>> So you're saying you can write an entire file, delete the original file, and rename the freshly written temporary file, all without the slightest indication of a failure?

Yep, and have it fail at the last step without any indication.

Yes, and they managed to find a way to avoid our double checks.

That's why we've been adding more error checking code.

We are spending time to make it more robust.  But we have to know about all the OS bugs before we can work around them (or try to get them fixed).

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 11, 2013 6:10 AM   in reply to batikdruid

As has been implied, I suggest you change your habits to always save your file from Photoshop to your local hard drive, then copy it via Finder or whatever to your server.  Yes, I realize that's not as convenient.

Seems to me I've read a thread about a hidden subfolder at the root of the server volume that needs to be managed in order to solve write problems, though not being a Mac person myself the details didn't stick.  I suggest scouting around this site for threads about failures to write to servers.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris,

I wanted to add some further information about my own experience with this which might help you. I use all of the Creative Suite applications on a daily basis and I work 100% off the office server. It seems this overwrite problem is confined to Photoshop and happens EVERY time I try to overwrite a file when the Finder window has it highlighted. I can save a PDF from InDesign when the PDF is selected and it works no problem. Same with HTML files through Dreamweaver.

Another issue with our setup that is probably not tied to Photoshop but yet only happens with Photoshop is if another member of my team creates a file, .psd for instance, closes it on his computer, I open it, save and then get a warning "can't save this file" (or something to that effect) - the file then disappears from the server. We have been caught out numerous times with this and now leave the file open until we can guarantee it saves.

As I mention, I doubt PS has anything to do with our last issue but it ONLY happens in PS so thought I would point it out. I run CS5.5 on OSX Lion (10.7).

Rik

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 10:15 AM   in reply to Rik Ramsay

That sounds like you're describing 2 known MacOS file system bugs.

We are attempting to work around those issues, while asking Apple to fix them (but not holding our breath).

And yes, Photoshop does more error checking for these sorts of issues, because we've run into so many OS and fileserver bugs in the past.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2013 5:05 PM   in reply to batikdruid

I just came across this thread from a google search.

I have started to have this exact same issue recently.  I think it may have started with the 10.8 server upgrade.  I am seeing the issue from both a MacPro running 10.7 and a MacBook Air running 10.8.  Both are runing CS5/PS 12.0.4.  That has't changed in a while (both of these systems were working as normal with the same file server previously).  What has changed is the server was recently upgraded to 10.8 (and now 10.8.1)--not sure if this is the issue because I can't pinpoint this issue starting exactly when this update occured.

The difficult thing about this problem is that it doesn't manifest on directories that were created prior to this issue starting for me.  When I create a new directory, then I start having this issue (where I can't overwrite an existing file).  This is a MAJOR PAIN IN THE BUTT because the once-awesome ability to click on the file you want to replace and have its name picked up in the Save for Web dialog and THEN OVERWRITE THE FILE is gone.  What's worse, there is no fail notice, so you think it is working as before, but after checking mod date on the file it is clear it is not updating/overwriting.

I've done a check of file permisssions and even attempted to get permissions identical for all files in two dirs, one which allows overwrite and one which doesn't, to no avail.

I was having a sorta similar issue with Coda 2 saving/overwriting files to newer directories...also seems to have cropped up in same timeframe.

I will check the sys logs on my various systems and see if anything is getting logged...would love to get this issue fixed, its a major time waster to have to delete the file before writing a new one with same name.

UPDATE: nothing found in the logs, but I wasn't able to turn on AFP access logging on the server by following apple's instructions.  After some further testing, I am seeing the modification date of the directory where the target overwrite file is gets updated, but the file is not written.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to batikdruid

We are having the same problem. We just did some testing, and if the file is open, the saved file doesn't update. But as long as we close the file (your main file is a different name than the jpg), the file would save correctly.

Although my team swears this has happened with the files closed as well.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points