Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Saving as a jpeg changes filter effects

Nov 29, 2012 2:18 PM

I am working on a file that contains a layer with filter effects. It looks just like I want it to as a psd file, but when I save it as a jpeg, the effects are very light. When I print it, the effects are barely visible. How can I preserve the original look?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 29, 2012 3:08 PM   in reply to jkdarg

You may have a msimatched profile what is the profile for the file when opened in PS?

And how are you saving it as a Jpeg?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 5:49 AM   in reply to jkdarg

Is a difference noticable at View > Actual Pixels?

If not, please consider that in Photoshop preview sizes other than Actual Pixels for a layered image can entail interpolated Layers and Masks which can affect the preview.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 8:20 AM   in reply to jkdarg

what about post #2?

Is a difference noticable at View > Actual Pixels?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to jkdarg

You may have a msimatched profile what is the profile for the file when opened in PS?

And how are you saving it as a Jpeg? Like Blog Football ?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 9:17 AM   in reply to jkdarg

try Layer> Flatten image before you save as .jpg (how are you saving the .jpg?)

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 30, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to gator soup

gator soup wrote:

try Layer> Flatten image before you save as .jpg (how are you saving the .jpg?)

I'm curious about why you would ask someone to do that, Gary.  Have you ever seen that make a difference in the saved image?

As far as what it's going to look like...  Do you know that the displayed image in Photoshop is actually a preview of the flattened image at the time the JPEG quality dialog is displayed (during File - Save As) if you have checked the [  ] Preview box?

To the original issue in this thread:  Layer Effects are approximations of what they'll look like at any zoom level other than 100%.  They do not scale perfectly at different zoom levels

So, if you are judging carefully what your Layer Effects look like, you should ALWAYS view them at 100% zoom before deciding you are happy with the settings of your Layer Effects.  That is the only way you're going to see what they really look like.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

>> why you would ask someone to do that

not sure what the OP means by "filter effects" but if they are Adjustment Layers, they should be flattened before making any profile Conversions since certain AdjL (and possibly certain layer effects) don't translate exactly to other spaces

a screenshot showing document profile and layers pallet, and steps how s/he was saving the .jpg would make it an easier answer, but that was my first guess

in any case, it only takes a moment to flatten and see...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

if you are judging carefully what your Layer Effects look like, you shouldALWAYS view them at 100% zoom

yes, didn't the OP already rule that out

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to jkdarg

There is no noticeable difference at View > Actual Pixels.

@jkdarg

Just to be clear, when you view the original PSD file at 100% (Actual Pixels) it looks the same or different than the  JPG viewed at 100%. (Assuming no change in image size when you saved as a JPG)

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 30, 2012 12:29 PM   in reply to charles badland

I read his responses of "no difference" as implying that at 100% zoom he saw no difference between the display and what was saved.

Sorry if I got it backwards.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 1:11 AM   in reply to jkdarg

1) I am unclear about my file's profile. Do you mean color profile? If so, it is RGB color mode.

jkdarg, you seem to confuse Color Modes and Color Spaces.

RGB, CMYK etc. are Color Modes, in Photoshop the Color Spaces are usually defined by ICC profiles and they should (except for certain web uses where the size may be a factor) be embedded in the images because otherwise color consistency is pretty much random when passing on those images (edit: and over time).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points