Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why Can't Text Layers Be Locked and Made Unselectable?

Nov 29, 2012 4:12 PM

Tags: #text #layer #lock #unselectable

I can't believe this is still an issue in CS6. When you have muliple text layers stacked near or inbetween each other, its impossible to lock the layer so that it can no longer be selected. Even if the layer is locked, the TYPE tool is still able to select it. This makes its a super pain in the tail to edit text near each other. Is there a way to make the text layers lock and NOT be selectable?

Instead of locking a layer and not being able to select it with the type tool, a pop-up telling us that its locked come up? That makes no sense from a functionality perspective imho.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 29, 2012 5:51 PM   in reply to fcastro75

Haven't noticed this problem before but just checked it on CS5. Yeah, it is a badly programmed interface. Putting a text layers in a group and locking the group seems to work around this.

edit: Sorry I spoke too soon. It worked for a moment before I posted my replay but it didn't work after that - may be there is a sequence of events that I cant reproduce again.

edit 2: another workaround that seems to work is if you move the text layer you want to select on top. When overlapping the text tool selects the top most layer.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points