Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

NOOK Simple Touch says "Error Dialog: user not activated" whenever I try to open e-books?

Nov 29, 2012 6:42 PM

Tags: #adobe_digital_editions #user_not_activated #nook #error_dialog #simple_touch #error_dialog:_user_not_activated

I have had my Nook Simple Touch for about a year now, and I have been using Adobe Digital Editions without a problem. Now, all of the sudden, Barnes and Noble updated my software and I can't read any of my ADE books!! It just says "Error Dialog: User not activated" every time I click on them. I have looked at many other websites and I have tried plugging my nook in to my computer and reauthorizing it, reauthorizing my computer, deleting the digital editions file and .adobe-digital-editions file, redownloading my books, turning my nook off and on, crying, and screaming. The weird thing is, in all the instructions, it says a pop-up box will come up when I delete the files, but it never does. Is that normal? I always have to do it manually by clicking on the gear. I even made sure I "unhid" all the hidden files. I HAVE DONE EACH OF THESE AT LEAST 5 TIMES AND THEY NEVER WORK!!! HELP ME, PLEASE.

Also, a lot of the websites say to make sure your Barnes and Noble ADE I.D. is the same as the one on your ADE computer I.D.. Is the B&N ADE I.D. different from just the Barnes and Noble ID? Becasue I have been using my sisters email for my computer ADE and my email for the B&N I.D.. Are they supposed to be the same? If so, how come I was able to use it without a problem before?? I tried reauthorizing ADE with my email, because I also have an ADE account with my email, but then it wouldn't let me redownload my books onto the new account. Does this mean I have to change the ADE computer I.D. and wait until my books are available again to read them? Is that the way to fix it? UGH!

Help is much appreciated.

P.S. I have ADE version 2.0

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 29, 2012 8:28 PM   in reply to CateYuk

Also having problems with my daughter's Nook since the 1.2 update.  After trying several things, and in the process authorizing the device multiple times, I have now run out of activations!  Now my daughter cannot read the books she is halfway through.  We are both extremely frustrated with this process.  How can I get my library EPUBs working again??

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 8:30 PM   in reply to CateYuk

Ugh! This is happening to me too! I just did a reset on my nook and that still didn't help! Although it did finally get the files to delete.  Like you I wasn't able to delete the ebook files either no matter how many times I tried before the reset.

Now that I've done the factory reset the adobe digital edition doesn't even recognize that my nook is plugged in and I there are no pop-up boxes for activation.

I don't know what else to try. I guess I'm going to go to bed and hope they fix this soon!  It's bad enough that I had to plug in my nook to my computer to borrow books from my library.  Now this isn't even working.  My phone is so much easier, but not as nice of a reader.  Oh well, guess I'm reading on the little screen tonight....

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to CateYuk

If you're getting an error message from the Nook, then it's most likely

that something is wrong with the Nook, not with ADE software.  So,

reinstalling ADE probably won't help - and it sounds like that's what's

happening.

When an ereader that was working fine stops working fine, it may have

developed ereader Alzheimer's.  Doing a hard reset on it (equivalent to

'shock therapy') may bring it back.  That seems to be the only thing you

haven't tried. Then you may need to deal with the issues that have arisen

from using different ID's, but at least the Nook itself will be working

with ADE.

===========

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 2:20 PM   in reply to CateYuk

Did the hard reset fix this problem?  Or has anyone else heard of a different fix.  I've tried uninstalling ADE, reinstalling, de-authorizing, re-authorizing device and computer.  Returning and rechecking out book - nothing works.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to CateYuk

This also happened to me this AM! I tried to get online help from B&N.  The tech just told me to reauthorize as you've done.  I did it several times and it didn't help!  I even tried creating a new ADE account.  Sure, the new ADE account did prompt my to authorize my Nook.  So I thought I was done.  But when I checked my Nook for the library book, it still says "User not activated".  Something must be terribly wront with the Nook software update!!!  HELP!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 3:54 PM   in reply to BookLoverGWC

I got it to work!  Went to the link below.  Apparently, my problem was that my computer is a Mac.  So the answer to my problem was provided by "lfeuln" : "FYI for those on Macs - you must delete ".adobe-digital-editions" IN ADDITION to the Digital Editions folder, however this file is hidden!!! I went to a PC to delete. If you don't have one, you'll need to use the terminal to view hidden files."

So HAPPY!!!

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Simple-Touch-General/Error -Dialog-User-Not-Activated/td-p/1413482?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 5:14 PM   in reply to CateYuk

CateYuk, I have a Simple touch as well.  Mine is working tonight. I did a factory reset last night. Today when I freshly booted up the computer and the Adobe Digitial Editions, it recognized my device this time and I was able to transfer books to my nook without any problems.... I don't know if the factory reset AND rebooting my computer fixed it, or what.

To do the factory (or hard) reset push the "n" and go to "settings"  choose "Devise Info" and then "Erase and Deregister Device"  After I finished that process 5 min., it still didn't work last night. But tonight after I have rebooted my computer, it worked fine. As soon as I plugged in my nook the Adobe Digital Editions recognized my device and prompted me to authorize it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 10:06 PM   in reply to BookLoverGWC

I had the same problem with using a Mac. You have to delete both the "Digital Editions" and the ".adobe-digital-editions" folders. Directions to Show Hidden Files on your Mac from Terminal are here (just copy-paste the commands):

http://osxdaily.com/2009/02/25/show-hidden-files-in-os-x/

Once I did that I followed the rest of the instructions from here (even though I don't have the color one, it still worked): http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-Support/Error-dialog -user-not-activated/td-p/1290365

Thanks everyone!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to Frustrated in AZ

Hi,

My problem also started after the update of Nook software.

Books I had borrowed were no longer transferable from ADE to the Nook; books I had borrowed and already transferred to the Nook were now unreadable on the Nook. At this stage, however, I could still open the books on my PC.

On advice from another forum, I deauthorized and reauthorized my PC to see if that would solve the problem. In fact, it made things worse: now I cannot even access books on ADE on the PC.

I hope someone can offer some advice.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to CateYuk

Just to clarify that the problem is not that my Nook is not recognized by ADE; it is that ADE seems to have lost all trace of the books on my computer, including the books I have borrowed from the library.

I get the the message "No record of this loan found on this machine"; this despite the fact that I had already accessed one of these books on ADE and on my Nook a few days ago.

Now, however, I both the Nook and ADE are unable to open the document.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 6:12 PM   in reply to CateYuk

Same issue here: Got the "not authorized" error. I ended up trying all of the above solutions, and finally got it to work by deleting and installing the newer version of ADE:

After deleting the files (both hidden and non-hidden folders) the Nook would no longer appear in ADE and I received no "Authorize" prompt. I tried a hard reset of the Nook Simple Touch, Re-booted my Mac, etc. etc. etc. I finally deleted Adobe Digital Editions (version 1.8), and installed the latest version (2.0). Once I installed 2.0 it finally recognized the Nook when I plugged it in to the Mac, and allowed to to authorize it. I think in my case it was an out-dated version of ADE not playing well with the Nook 1.2 update.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 7:42 AM   in reply to Kcoline

Just to clarify, there are two levels of Authorization -- one for the ADE software and one for the nook. You have to use your Adobe account to authorize both (and they have to be authorized with the same user name). It sounded like your original problem (Kcoline) was with the Nook authorization, and it was the same problem the rest of us were having.

To get your files back, I suggest carefully reading over the "Activation and Authorization" section of the ADE help. It appears that ADE will automatically find your files but note the "Note" in quoted text below... 

http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/help/

"After activation, any books, magazines, or other documents you previously bought with Adobe Acrobat® or Reader® software are migrated to Adobe Digital Editions. This is usually a relatively quick process. Adobe Digital Editions opens each item and reverifies its license to the user. If you don't have DRM-protected items, you don't need to be online during the migration. If you have a large number of items (for example, more than 100), then this process may take a while, but you will see a progress bar indicating the state of the migration as it proceeds.

Note: Items that you previously borrowed from a public library with Adobe Acrobat® or Reader® software are not migrated to Adobe Digital Editions. You need to return the library item and then borrow the item again with Digital Editions."

If it's not finding your files, it may be because they're located in a folder different from the one that ADE is trying to use to find them.

You may also want to check the "Transferring items between computers" section, as this describes where the files should be located, and how to reimport them into your library.

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to CateYuk

To confirm others' findings/solution:

• Uninstall both of the following directories from Nook Simple Touch using Windows Explorer:
      • adobe-digital-editions
      • Digital Editions
    • Unmount/disconnect the Nook from the PC
    • Quit and Restart ADE
    • Reconnect the Nook to the PC
    • From within ADE, click the Gear/Down Arrow next to the Nook.
    • Select Authorize Device
    • Copy Library Books using Drag & Drop or the right click context menu --> Transfer to Device

This solved the "Error Dialog: User not activated" issue on my Nook Simple Touch, running OS v1.2, ADE 2.0+, and Windows 7 Pro x64.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 7:29 PM   in reply to CateYuk

Did anyone get answer?  I see post going back as far as Nov 2012.  It Jan 2013 and I am having the same problem with my Nook Touch.  I was prompted to upgrade my ADE it was originally installed Dec 2010.  Finally got the computer to authorize and the items to transfer to the Nook.  But I am getting the same error message, user not authorized.  Started from scratch and reinstalled ADE and reset Nook, ADE will not authorize computer nor the Nook.  I get following message:  code E_Auth_not_Ready.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2013 2:55 AM   in reply to mommybearof2

It may help to ininstall ADE v2.0 and install v1.7.2.

Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editio ns.html

also for PC at http://www.tucows.com/preview/853736/Adobe-Digital-Edition-For-EBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2013 1:09 PM   in reply to mommybearof2

I had tried everything posted on the message boards here and on B&N with no sucess. Finally, I called the local B&N store and they advised me that this problem occurred when they recently updated the Simple Touch software. He suggested erasing and deregistering the device.

Go to Settings, then Erase and Deregister device

This will wipe the Nook clean. (If you bought books from B&N, you can access them again by signing into your Nook account, download to your computer and move them to your Nook)

Re-register your device using the same B&N account info you first set it up with.

Plug it into your computer, and move your library books over from ADE.

This worked for me and I did a Happy Dance!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 9:31 AM   in reply to CateYuk

Just FYI, according to Barnes & Noble's own "KnowledgBase" they are aware of this problem. At the bottom of a page discussing this problem, in a SMALL Note, is the following (word for word):

"Note: You may be required to re-authorize the NOOK after any software update has occurred (i.e. updating NOOK Color from version 1.4.1 to version 1.4.2). Any previously side loaded libary books will provide the "User Not Authorized" message when attempting to open after a software update."

In other words, Barnes and Noble is forcing users to go through this process of: deleting the folders and files for ADE on the NOOK, deleting all their previously loaded library books from both the Nook and ADE, re-authorizing their Nook, re-downloading their borrowed library books into ADE, and then re-uploading those titles to their Nook. What fantastic customer service. Sarcasm noted, I hope.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 9:27 PM   in reply to CateYuk

How to Fix this on a Windows System:

1. Delete the book out of your Nook and close Adobe Digital Editions.

2. Make sure you are set to view hiden files and folder:  In Windows Explorer (My Computer) Tools menu > Folder options... > View tab, make sure Show hidden files, folders and drives is selected.

3. Attach your Nook ST to your computer via USB.

4. Open My Computer and go into the NOOK drive.

5. Delete the folder called:  .adobe-digital-editions

6. Detach your nook from the USB cable.

7. Open Adobe Digital Editions.

8. Attach your Nook via USB cable.

9. Authorize your Nook in Adobe Digital Editions.

10. Copy the book to your Nook.

11. Make sure your book opens.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2013 10:25 AM   in reply to CateYuk

There are several responses that provide detailed information for the deletion of the two adobe digital folders on the nook.  Please review the comments about these two Adobe files.  It is critical this deletion process is completed on a Microsoft computer, as MAC does not show hidden files; therefore, the MAC does not locate one of the files.  If both of these files are not deleted, the process of transferring the ebooks to the NOOK will NOT work.

FYI - Adobe Digital creates these files automatically when the nook is authorized and synchronized with the program.

We make these commments as we were thoroughly frustrated yesterday, but the process worked well on a Microsoft laptop, and now files transfer very easily to the NOOK.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2014 7:21 PM   in reply to CateYuk

You have reauthorize nook.

But first delete both Adobe files.  One of them is hidden.  To unhide: http://guides.macrumors.com/Viewing_hidden_files_on_a_Mac

Then reauthorize.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2014 9:57 PM   in reply to Epunz

Oh my God, this has been a huge pain in the neck but I finally fixed it with the above instructions. I have the original Nook & have used it for years no troubles at all. I was about to give up & put the book I wanted onto my tablet. Thanks for the solution.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points