Skip navigation
leverite
Currently Being Moderated

How can I blur (moving) faces in PE 11?

Nov 29, 2012 9:05 PM

Tags: #privacy #blur_faces #premier_elements_11

Funny story. (Maybe not!)

I have just upgraded from PE 9 to PE 11 because ... wait for it ...

I was told by the on-line chat lady that "blurring faces can be done easily in version 11"

So I bought it ... the Photoshop / Premiere Elements bundle.

I should know better ...

Do you know how to tell if a salesman is lying to you?

If their lips are moving ... they're telling you lies!

The very first thing I did was to check the "Help" file ... which is a JOKE BTW, as it is not version-specific at all!!!

Wading through it all, I get led down the garden path to a Youtube clip that shows how to make a thought baloon follow a cat using "Motion Tracking".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prQhrJnEPB8

"OK" I thought, "I'll just use that idea with a mask and a mosaic effect, and have the effect chase the face.

Oh, wait a minute ... now I've now discovered that "Motion Tracking" was abandoned with version 10.

~Sigh~ OK ... well I do still have version 9 installed, let me try that.

I think I understand why it was abandoned!

So now what?

I also bought Magix Movie Edit Pro MX ... and it wants to lay down another complete track, make a mosaik mask, etc . Problem is that the mask doesn't follow the moving face either!

Doing further research on video editors in general, I've been introduced to a term called "keyframing".

Seriously? From my limited understanding, that sounds like an awful lot of work!

Perhaps I'm just a newb looking for a "silver bullet" fix?

Surely this must be a common concern in this day and age with FOIP (Freedom Of Information & Privacy) and being "politically correct" etc.

Do I have to wait for the NEXT release?

Pay ANOTHER $150.00 after another salesman that convinces me that "it's very easy in this version"???

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 30, 2012 5:15 AM   in reply to leverite

Nope. You can pretty easily blur faces in any version of Premiere Elements, as long as you understand how the Track Matte works.

The process is a bit long for me to explain in a forum post, but I do explain it in the sample chapter of my special effects book for Premiere Elements.

http://Muvipix.com/CoolTricks

The book is being updated for version 11, but the principles are still the same. You put two copies of a clip on your timeline, one directly above another. Then you blur the bottom one and place a Track Matte on the upper the punch a hole or holes through the upper track where you want the blur to appear. Once this hole is keyframed to follow the face around the frame, you're done.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to leverite

Along with Steve's suggestion, you might want to take a look at this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4575874#4575874

The concept in it is to "highlight" a moving object, but that "highlight" can be almost anything, such as a heavy Blur, a Moasic, almost anything.

The beauty of Keyframing is that one only has to establish a few points, and then Frames ("tweens" in animation parlance) will be automatically created. Also, they are easily tweaked, if the tweens get off a bit.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to leverite

The first book (Cool Tricks & Hot Tips) is my special effects book.

I'm a bit backed up with my writing now -- but I'm hoping to have it updated some time this spring.

Thanks for your interest!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points