Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to continue multi-list number across a book?

Nov 29, 2012 8:47 PM

Tags: #layout #styles #cs6 #page #indesign_cs6

Hello,

I am working on a manual that is made up of several different documents. Each document will be a section of the manual. What I'd like to do is have the numbering be automatic for the section headers. I use styles to set up the headers, and the styles already have numbers, but since each document is separate, all the numbers start at 1. I managed to make it work by changing the "Start Number" to the respective section, but that is a very brute force method, and when I am moving sections around, I'd rather not do that.

Essentially, I want it to look like this:

Document 1

Section 1 Title of Section

1.1: Introduction

Document 2

Section 2 Title of Section

2.1 Introduction

And so forth.

Does anyone have a solution to what I am trying to achieve rather than changing the start numbers in the styles?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 30, 2012 3:44 AM   in reply to Eric-P

Search Google for terms like "InDesign How to continue multi-list number across a book," without quotes, for good info. NOTE: this search term is your subject line prefixed with "InDesign."

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Eric-P wrote:

Hello,

I am working on a manual that is made up of several different documents. Each document will be a section of the manual. What I'd like to do is have the numbering be automatic for the section headers. I use styles to set up the headers, and the styles already have numbers, but since each document is separate, all the numbers start at 1. I managed to make it work by changing the "Start Number" to the respective section, but that is a very brute force method, and when I am moving sections around, I'd rather not do that.

Essentially, I want it to look like this:

Document 1

Section 1 Title of Section

1.1: Introduction

Document 2

Section 2 Title of Section

2.1 Introduction

And so forth.

Does anyone have a solution to what I am trying to achieve rather than changing the start numbers in the styles?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 6:41 AM   in reply to Eric-P

Hi, Eric:

It's not clear if you couldn't find the page itself, or couldn't find multi-level lists described in the page. If the latter, you're correct, it's not in this particular reference. The search word "multi" found this page because it refers to "multi file" books.

This search term without quotes should deliver more-focused results: "indesign multi-level numbered lists"

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Eric-P wrote:

Can you tell me if it's possible to do what I am trying to achieve? I came here after searching Google, and I haven't found much other than references to Chapter Numbers, which I know how to set.

This page had references to Multi-list numbering, but when I went to the page, I couldn't find it at all: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f86173837 51001ea8cb3f-6ccaa.html#WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6cb9a

Thanks for any further information.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 7:00 AM   in reply to Eric-P

Good! It's not intuitive, but the results are worth the study it takes to "get it."

You should take some extra credit for getting the right numbering format codes.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Eric-P wrote:

Peter, I got it working. See my reply to this post.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 7:29 AM   in reply to Eric-P

When I checked my suggested Google search phrases, one of the links went to another Adobe InDesign forum thread on this stuff in which I had said that one likely reason for the meager documentation is that most designers work with finished text, whose numbering schemes are static. As more folks create and edit live numbered content in InDesign, they'll need to know how to use this powerful feature. If you like, you can post a documentation enhancement request here: Wishform

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Eric-P wrote:

Exactly. It is a lot of steps to get to the result, but it does get exactly what I am looking for, and it saves me several steps later on. Thanks for pointing me in a direction that got me to where I needed to find these ideas. Weird how this isn't more documented.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to Eric-P

Hints:

• Always start a new thread for a new question.
    • Google searches are your friends.
    • Search for terms like "InDesign open save close all book files script," without quotes.
    • If you like, you can post a feature enhancement request here: Wishform

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 9:50 AM   in reply to Eric-P

Hints:

• Always start a new thread for a new question.
    • Google searches are your friends.
    • Search for terms like "InDesign open save close all book files script," without quotes.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers