Skip navigation
philippzm
Currently Being Moderated

Simulating a hand-drawn illustration

Nov 30, 2012 3:21 AM

Tags: #effects #illustrator_brushes; #cs6; #brush; #fill; #hand_drawn_look; #hand_drawn; #brushes_with_effects;

Hi! Does anybody have ideas how to simulate the following hand-drawn picture with Illustrator brushes and fills?

The situation would be... somebody would create a new vector drawing (i.e. made from a photo reference) with outlines and fills. With some easy steps he should be able to turn it into a vector drawing that resembles this style. It should be easy to do... maybe 2 or 3 steps. It could also work with add-ons or plug-ins or something (shoudl work with CS4 upwards). Any ideas? Thanks a lot for your help, in advance!

mockup.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 30, 2012 5:03 AM   in reply to philippzm

This sounds suspiciously like a classroom assignment. Is that what it is?

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 5:09 AM   in reply to JETalmage

JETalmage wrote:

This sounds suspiciously like a classroom assignment. Is that what it is?

JET

or a bet with someone.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to philippzm

I don't know if there is a plug in to turn a fill into strokes. I tried blends between paths with roughen effect as a more automated way to create a pattern of lines then expanded them and manually touched the edges and inside with the eraser tool to make it look less uniform but I don't like how it looks comparing to making manually some scribbles with the an artistic brush (bottom of the image) which also took less than dealing with the blend approach. So, if it is me I would just do it by hand.

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 7:55 AM   in reply to philippzm

Philipp,

What about Effect>Stylize>Scribble?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Thanks for reminding me Jacob, I can't believe I forgot about this one after I've used a few times in the past. They say dark chocolate is good for the memory LOL

About 10-15 minutes including recreating roughly the drawing with the pencil tool.

If Adobe adds angle jitter it will be great improvement to this feature

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 8:36 AM   in reply to philippzm

Philipp, check the Scribble suggested by Jacob, I like it better than the brush. Hand drawn brush can still be used where angel jitter is needed like the back padding on the top of the shoe, but the bulk of the fills can be made with the Scribble effect.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to emil emil

Here's some additional tries on the padding of the shoe. I expanded the scribble effect which gave stroked paths, and used the Warp tool touching here and there to break the uniform angle of the scribble, then applied a charcoal brush.

click on the image to see larger

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 9:12 AM   in reply to philippzm

Philipp Zurmöhle wrote:

One thing is still bugging me though... those spikey ends that appear at the turns of the path (highlighted red). I already set the path to round corners, but it still is spikey. I know that if you would draw it more round, then it would look better probably, but I think I can' tell people to draw it more round. Is there a way to remove the spikes automatically somehow?

you can take the Eraser tool and touch the ends to cut them. Also in my previous message I forgot to mentioned that after expanding the Scribble effect I used the scissor tool  on random spots of the path to divide it into smaller segments which limits the stretching of the applied brush and makes it nicer.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to philippzm

One thing is still bugging me though... those spikey ends that appear at the turns of the path … Is there a way to remove the spikes automatically somehow?

In your Stroke panel, lower the value in the Limit field.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points