Having had Premiere Pro CS3 for about 5 years I recently upgraded to CS6 but immediately found problems achieving the same kind of export quality I had before. Initially I was testing with a project created in CS3 but then simplified the matter by creating a new project in CS3 and entering a single piece of text and exporting as a single tiff frame and doing exactly the same in CS6 and attached is the comparison. I can't of the life of me figure out what the problem is, hopefully someone can help.
This may help... Great Titles With the DV Codec http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hodgetts_philip/titles.php
I notice that both TIFF and Targa are less than perfect quality, but all the others seem to work fine. Not sure why this is, but since PNG is a lossless format that also allows transparency, it's probably the best option to use.
Okay thanks, I'll certainly look at those, but I may have misled in the sence that it is not a text issue as such, it is overall video quality, this was just an example where I tried to take away as many variables as possible. I find it hard to believe that I shouldn't be able to take a project I made in CS3 and open in CS6 and export with exactly the same result. As it happens it was exported to H.264/mp4, but in the test shown I exported a single frame in tiff format just to eliminate codec from the equation.
Please provide a screen shot of your export settings. Perhaps there is something odd about them. It happens to a lot of people who make the change.
You didn't say what the purpose of the export was. For editing in another program, for YouTube, Vimeo, DVD?
If for the web, try one of the YouTube presets. H.264 at 8Mb/s. Also, export at the same size as the original sequence.
Okay, thanks for the further input, I've made progress with it, I've discovered it's to do with the field order setting. Basically my knowledge of video editing and video standards is rather limited and the kind of work I've done in the past has mostly been to produce animations from 3ds Max which are simply shown as demonstrations to people on a PC or laptop, and so when setting up a new project in Premiere I always selected "Desktop" editing mode, changed some settings and left others as default such as Fields: Lower Field First, mainly because I didn't know what it meant.
When exporting the finished video the default would be Progressive Scan and everything fine, so never touched it. With CS6 if I do everything the same way I get the problem described above, but if for new projects I select Progressive Scan in the setup then everything is fine. (Similarly with lower field in setup and export).
However I still have a problem with imported CS3 projects. In CS6 if I simply open the project and select Lower Field on export, or start a new project with Progressive Scan in setup and import the project, the fuzziness I had before is gone but now I get the effect in the following attached image (a print screen from a paused video, left one exactly as I expect):
I have found a work around though, which is to start a new CS6 project with progressive scan in setup, import the project, then create a new sequence and copy the contents of the imported sequence into it and that exports fine, although I suppose it could get complicated when there are sequences inside sequences. I'm sure there is still something simple I'm missing to do this in a more seamless manner, if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Sequences within sequences is normal, and it is often the easiest way to change the sequence settings. Just create the new sequence and do one of two things. Copy everything from the old sequence into the new sequence, or merely take the sequence from the Project panel and drop it on the new timeline. The first method is great of you have more editing to do. The second is called "Nesting a sequence" and is used for all manner of things.
I don't know what is causing the problem, but since you have the solution, don't be at all concerned. It is most likely the correct solution.
I prefer to edit interlaced footage in an interlaced sequence and then export as progressive, but creating a progressive sequence will work too, There are differences between the two ways of doing this, but it only comes into play when the effects you put on interlaced footage takes the interlacing into account. Not many of those, so don't be concerned unless you see a problem.
Okay thanks. Just for your information, I already tried the second method you mentioned of droping the sequence from the project panel onto a new sequence time line, but it didn't work. Thankfully copying the content is not too difficult. Having previously moved projects from Premiere 6.0 to CS3 without issue I just expected it to be equally straightforward.