Skip navigation
boenracing
Currently Being Moderated

Save command not overwriting automatically?

Nov 30, 2012 10:39 AM

Tags: #save #as #overwrite

I haven't had this problem before (CS5, CS5.5). But when i started using CS6 i noticed that each time i open a project in InDesign, edited it somehow, and then press Ctrl+S to save it, it doesn't automatically overwrite the file. Instead it opens the Save As window in a completly different folder on my computer and then i have to find the folder and file i was working on, click on it and then InDesign asks me if i want to overwrite the file. Why doesn't it just overwrite the file to begin with, after all i pressed Save, not Save as?

Would really appreciate some help...

Thanks...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 30, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to boenracing

If the file is from an older version it's usually throwing a monkey wrench in the system. I'd save a copy to the desktop next time it happens and see what happens after that.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 11:27 AM   in reply to boenracing

This is normal and a safety feature for legacy files opened in a newer version. It prevents you from accidentally (though not purposefully) overwriting and rendering it no longer openable in the original version. As far as ID is concerned, a file saved in any earlier version is essentailly opened as a copy, though it differs from the normal open as a copy behavior by retaining the previous name and appending (Converted) in the interface. Once saved in a new version, this will stop until the next new version comes along (it even happens sometimes with sevice patches).

I recoomend that you do not overwrite legacy files, though it's OK to do so with files from the same version of ID if it comes up.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 4:20 AM   in reply to boenracing

That's definitetly not normal. Could be network related in some way or, more likely, some sort of conflict with another program you run in the background.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 4:35 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Not normal but I'm seeing it, too. Hit or miss so I have no clue what's causing it.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 4:41 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Want to bet it's Suitcase?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Actually I think it's a Win8 thing. But like I said, it's so hit or miss I can't be sure.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 4:56 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I think we've had some Mac users reporting this, too. Might not be the same problem, of course.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 1:05 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

@Peter – I can remember one occasion with several files deliverd by a customer who is on Windows. I'm on Mac OS X 10.6.8. Thiese files were pulled out of a data base used by a Censhare ECMS workflow system. At that time, I think they were on Windows XP with InDesign CS4. I never found a solution other than resaving several times with Save As or exporting to IDML.

Uwe

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points