Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can the bezier handles be made to move independently of one another?

Nov 30, 2012 10:21 AM

Hi there. I'm using CS5 on a PC. I should preface this by saying it's been a long time since I used a vector graphics program, and when I did, it was Macromedia Freehand.

I am creating an object using the pen tool, and I'd like to adjust the curves on either side of an anchor point independently of one another. There was a function to do this in Freehand, but I can't seem to find it's Illustrator equivalent. Is there a function like this, or is there another way to go about it?

Thanks!

Sandi

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 30, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to Amethyst42

Hold down the Alt/Option key while using the Convert Anchor Tool on a Bezier handle. This breaks the symmetry of the points.

While drawing you can Alt/Option-click-drag an existing anchor to pull out a non-symmetrical Bezier handle.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to Amethyst42

Hold Alt while dragging the handle with the white pointer. This turns a smooth anchor point to corner point.

edit: sorry,  not while dragging but before dragging, Holding Alt while dragging and after releasing the mouse  will create a copy of the curve segment. I didn't see Scott's post but the white pointer (direct selection tool is the official name) is a different tool than the one Scott suggested so, you can do it with either of these tools.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to Amethyst42

Remember that you can drag the curves themselves.

You don’t need to touch anchors or handles.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 2:22 PM   in reply to Amethyst42

The convert anchor point tool allows you to click and drag handles independantly.

Screen Shot 2012-11-30 at 4.20.44 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to Mike Gondek

The convert anchor point tool allows you to click and drag handles independantly.

Not really. It converts anchors into corner points and susequent dragging produces symmetrical handles.

Option/Alt dragging on an anchor allows you to control each handle independently.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to Amethyst42

Use the convert anchor point on the handle instead of the direct selection tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

steve fairbairn wrote:

Not really. It converts anchors into corner points and susequent dragging produces symmetrical handles.

Perhaps your version is different than mine, but the Convert Anchor tool used on a symmetrical Bezier handle... converts it to a non-symmetrical handle, no Alt or Option key is needed. Only when click-dragging on the anchor itself is the Alt or Option key needed to break symmetry.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 12:40 PM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

Scott is correct if you use the convert anchor point on a handle the handle will be independent, if you use the direct select tool you need to hold down the option key in order for the handle to move independently.

The error is the preception that because when using the pentool you hold the option key down in order to access the convert anchor point tool which you arer confusing with the function of the direct select tool plus the option key and sustituting the convert anchor point in your recall of the functions.

The fact is that Scott is 100% correct and you are in error.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 3:35 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I am not in error. Sure Scott is right but then so am I.

What I omitted to write in post #4 was that option dragging with the Direct Selection tool allows you to manipulate handles independently of each other.

The Convert Anchor Point tool does the same when used on a handle but when used on an anchor it does exactly what I said in post #4.

I never mentioned the Pen tool.

Sorry for any confusion or misinterpretation I may have caused.

When one has been using Illie for as long as we have it is sometimes difficult to express the obvious in a foolproof fashion :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 1:16 PM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

Doesn't look like you were correct at all. Look at what you wrote and what Scott responded to!

Funny thing is that when most contributors make amn error they usually acknowledge it. Except for two users.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Aw c’mon Wade. Read it better.

I wrote:

(The Convert Anchor tool) converts anchors into corner points and susequent dragging produces symmetrical handles.

Which it does when you click on anchors.

I then wrote:

Option/Alt dragging on an anchor allows you to control each handle independently.

Which it does when you use the Direct Selection tool.

So which bit aren’t you satisfied with?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 5:29 PM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

Doesn't matter....

Did Sandi get what she needed?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 7:01 PM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

See exactly what I meant!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 2:20 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

See exactly what I meant!

No, Wade. You said I was in error which I wasn’t.

You know how to do it. Scott knows how to do it. I know how to do it.

Maybe we use slightly different methods but all roads lead to Rome.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 2:27 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

I agree, Steve. We all know that we know how to do this... anything posted may simply come down to syntax used when posting due to speed of posting, missed words, a cat walking across your desk, the wife yelling at you, a hurricaine, the local shop being out of Red Vines...... Pointing fingers does no one any good. It doesn't matter as long as Sandi got what she needed.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 3:26 AM   in reply to [scott w]

How very much I agree.

And how gratifying that Sandi got what she was looking for.

But I refuse to be sat on by King Wade :-)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points