Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe, the worst tech support of any major company

Nov 30, 2012 12:15 PM

Really come to this conclusion recently.

3 chat guys in a row, they all disconnect mid conversation. None of them solve anything.

Call phone support says 5 hour wait.

I'm locked out of PS on laptop becuase of a bogus seriel number issue.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 30, 2012 12:24 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Was it a bogus serial number or a bogus issue?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 30, 2012 3:27 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Can you deactivate it on the iBook? If so, will it launch on the Macbook Air?

You didn't happen to sell your "older white laptop" with an active version of Photoshop on it, did you?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 30, 2012 3:20 PM   in reply to kevin4545

That's odd because the one or two times I've needed Adobe's help with an activation issue they cleared it right up on the phone.  Perhaps you should wait out the delay and see if you can get someone to actually talk to you.

What did you change on the "newer airbook" between the time it worked and when it didn't?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 5:49 PM   in reply to kevin4545

You didn't happen to sell your "older white laptop" with an active version of Photoshop on it, did you?

Kevin?...

Kevin?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 30, 2012 6:17 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Did you deactivate Photoshop from the machine in the closet before deleting the apps?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 30, 2012 8:03 PM   in reply to kevin4545

You have two activations of Photoshop from Adobe when you buy a Photoshop license.

I can't explain why it would fail after weeks of using it on the machine you're calling an "airbook" (isn't the correct term "MacBook Air"?).  No one outside of Adobe can.  The licensing/activation process is a well-guarded secret, for obvious reasons.

Apparently for some reason it tried to re-activate on your MacBook Air, and finding that one activation had been used up on your old closet machine, and the second had already been used up once on the MacBook Air initially, it failed to do so.  You'd think the software would know it's on the same system.  You sure you didn't change anything?

All it's really going to take to get this resolved in the short term is for you to call Adobe, nicely convince them that you're using the product only on one computer (honest), and have them reset the activation count so you can activate it on the MacBook Air and get back to work.

As for why your system should "lose" its activation without your having changed any hardware or reinstalled software, that's a mystery, and in my long years of software engineering experience I've learned that problems that occur without explanation tend to recur, unfortunately.  Thing is, virtually every problem CAN be explained.  There is absolutely nothing magic about the operation of a computer - even an Apple computer.  Often it has something to do with the user, but it could be a software or hardware failure.  Finding the root cause of the problem is imperative, or you'll be back to the same situation again some time.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 8:35 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Kevin,

And try deactivating PS on the old iBook. If possible.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 30, 2012 9:49 PM   in reply to kevin4545

kevin4545 wrote:

The first tech guy said he did reset the license, yet it still persist. He said to call tech support.

That's a bit worrisome.  That says something's wrong with your system or installation of Photsohop on it.

I think you're going to have to take charge of the repair.  It may be expecting too much to get someone else to fix this for you.

On the general principle that Photoshop can work on a MacBook Air (which I'm not quialified to verify, as I don't use Mac)...

Please read this first and understand what I'm saying, don't just blindly follow it.  I'm trying to give you an idea of just one possible path to success, albeit a labor-intensive one.

What I'd suggest is to save a copy of your Photoshop preference files, then completely remove Photoshop via the steps listed in the Creative Suite Cleaner Tool page:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

After that reinstall your Adobe software afresh.  I'm not sure whether you're going to be able to run it at that stage, or whether Photoshop will force you into an attempt to activate, but if you can, update it to the current version (13.0.1.1) without activating it first.  In other words run it in its free trial mode if given the choice, and use Help - Updates.

If you've been able to get your freshly installed copy of Photoshop updated, and it's up and running, THEN go through the process of activating it.

If you have 3rd party plug-ins, I'd try installing them before activating Photoshop if possible.

Good luck.

Over and out.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,004 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 1, 2012 6:30 AM   in reply to kevin4545

While I agree Adobe support and testing is the poorest I have ever had to deal with.. Adobe  Customer Support has always been able and willing to help me with my activation problems. Activation problem are as common as head crashes. In fact all my Activation problems have been caused by head crashes. When you loose your system drive you can not deactivate you activated Photoshop installation so you have to contact Adobe to resolve this problem when you replace your system disk.  Even though you installing on the same machine with a new drive perhaps the same size you can not reactivate the machine Photoshop activation.  The machine serial may be the same however the old activation is gone from the machine but still recorded at Adobe. All I have had to do to to contact Adobe Customer Support and install Photoshop to the point of activation.  Talk to support they then allow an activation for my Photoshop serial they may or may not check to se if it is on the same machine that I stated had the head crash.  I have had this problem twice once with CS3 and once with CS5.  Adobe support had no problem helping me each time and it only took one phone call each time.

You may have a harder time for you changing machines and not reinstalling on the old machine.  If the is the case have them help you install on the old machine. Then deactivate the installation and install on your new machine.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,004 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 1, 2012 12:58 PM   in reply to kevin4545

I gave up on Adobe customer support for all things except ordering upgrades and activation problems.  For all other things I use web forums dealing with Adobe support for problems is all but impossible.  I just report problems to the Adobe feedback web site perhaps some will get fixed.  They get many problem reports some are real problems others are not. Few get acknowledged even fewer are listed as being worked on. Go have a look at http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/problems/recent

This is an improvement in the past you reported problems and Adobe kept the to themselves which kept the users completely in the dark.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,004 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 1, 2012 1:33 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Activation support works don't jinks it. That part works well.......

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 6:25 PM   in reply to kevin4545

You are so right.  Being IT Management for 20 years, spending 10's of thousands of dollars, and calling Adobe only 1 time in 20 years, I was dumbfounded by the horrible treatment.  We'll be weaning ourselves away from Adobe products as much as possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 9:34 PM   in reply to mcfallsco

mcfallsco wrote:

We'll be weaning ourselves away from Adobe products as much as possible.

Good luck with that...what, are ya gonna use GIMP?

(good luck with that too)

Let's see, you joined the forums in 2010 and you are just now making your first post here? Really?

What exactly did you hope to accomplish? Just askin'...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Now, there are two, almost totally different Support departments: Technical Support, and Customer Support.

For things not running correctly with an Adobe product, Technical Support is what one wants. However, with any Activation/licensing issues, Adobe Customer Support (think of "sales support"), is what one wants.

I have never had to use T/S, but have had limited interactions with C/S, and they were always very quick, and highly efficient. My issues were minor, and fixed within 5 mins., including hold-time. I have been with other users, with Activation issues, and their results have mirrored mine - quick, efficient, and very good - however the last of those was several years ago, and things CAN change.

I would make sure that you ARE speaking with Customer Support, and X my fingers, that you get the same level of support, that I and several assistants have gotten.

Good luck, and hope that you can get this squared away,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 2:26 PM   in reply to mcfallsco

I was also in IT management for more than 20 years and am astounded by the shoddy support.  Dropped chats, promises for return calls never recieved, lack of expertise when a tech is finally contacted. Errors in the web site stopping one from checking on progress through their automated portal.  All in all it is clear that once you purchase an Adobe product you are on your own.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 4:30 PM   in reply to Alan Holbert

When computers were mainframes and cost in the millions, IBM had no problem sending out an army of technicians to take care of the problem. Now that most laptops are sub-1000 dollars, tech support is actually a loss that companies tolerate, although some have a paid model.

Adobe has to field calls that they get no profit from, even when the packages are from $400 to $3000. Add to the mix people calling in wanting help with pirated software or wanting some sort of hand-holding and it gets bad.

I have long seen this and I keep away unless it involves activation or some sort sales support.

Adobe products have way better user to user support and large amounts of books and videos by the best pros out there.

Not jumping ship anytime soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 5:43 PM   in reply to Alan Holbert

For vast majority of PS problems, posting in these very active forums (and photoshop.com) provide users with problems more timely and in and many cases more accurate responsese than using Adobe Tech Support. And it is free for you and for Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 5:58 PM   in reply to charles badland

>>>>>Errors in the web site stopping one from checking on progress through their automated portal. >>>

I ran into this one the other day and discovered that it seems (in my case) to have been due to an inherent problem in Firefox with long Headers.

I used Safari instead and was then able to open the required page on the Site.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 11:38 AM   in reply to charles badland

Charles,

I have observed the same thing, over the years.

Unless the issue is one involving odd installation issues, Activation or other licensing issues, the Adobe Forums will usually be able to provide help more quickly. What appears to happen is that the first level, or so, of T/S will yield a script being read. That script is very general, and it's likely that the person reading it, does not really know the programs. By the time that a case can be escalated to a representative, who does know the software, the user would usually have received a half-dozen helpful responses. Even for some issues, that lie deeply "under the hood," will usually get an answer, or two, from Adobe engineers, like Chris Cox.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 5:55 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Adobe Forums will usually be able to provide help more quickly.

Certainly for me over the years.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points