Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Problem importing actions from CS3 to CS6

Nov 30, 2012 4:18 PM

Hi, I have just installed CS6 and need some actions that I made in CS3 and earlier.

Info that I read on support sited said that I should be able to import them.

I have tried the edit import actions menu.

I have tried dragging the old action set to the new version.

All to no avail.

Tried the online live help and got no where.

What I would like to try next is to instal CS4 and see if I can import the action set from CS3 and then onwards from CS4 to CS6

However the support person could not give me a link to download CS4......

Any help greatly appreciated as I really need my old actions and CS6 is a useless to me without them!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 30, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to Prophoto

CS6 can read/import actions from Photoshop 4.0 and up.

You did save the ATN files from CS3, correct?

Those should open without any problems in CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to Prophoto

Did you SAVE the actions from the actions palette to an ATN file?

Or did you try to copy the ActionsPalette.psp file from preferences? (which can't be read directly, only loaded as part of preferences, and is not supposed to be copied between versions)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 6:34 PM   in reply to Prophoto

In the actions palette, select a set of actions, and save.

Yes, you do have to open/load the actions files.  They aren't going to open by themselves.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 30, 2012 11:07 PM   in reply to Prophoto

Use the Save Actions / Load Actions menu entries in the Actions panel fly-out menu, accessible by the tiny icon at the upper-right.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,971 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 1, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

I always save my action set to a folder out side of Adobe folders like in a folder named "My Photoshop Actions". When I install a new version of Photoshop it very easy to load them into Photoshop.  Perhaps the easiest way to do that is to select all the action sets I want to load in an application like windows explorer or Mac finder the drag and drop them onto Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,971 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 1, 2012 8:44 AM   in reply to Prophoto

You need to load them into Photoshop to use them. Their save files can be any where on your system. Once loaded they are copied into your user id Photoshop  preferences.  Photoshop load no action set on its one. The default set is in Adobe default set of preferences. This is the only set in the Photoshop default Actions Palette.  The action set listed in the action palette's fly-out menu are the one in Adobe Presets Actions and perhaps ones you copied into there or save into a folder Adobe set up for you user id for the current release of Photoshop your using.  My advice is do not save any of your actions sets into any Adobe folder.  Instead save them into a folder like "My Photoshop Actions" load them from there too or drag an drop them onto Photoshop.  Once loaded as  I wrote above they get copied into your user id Photoshop preferences. And will be in the Actions Palette when you shutdown Photoshop and re open Photoshop.

Photoshop does not import actions you must load them one way or an other.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 1:16 PM   in reply to Prophoto

Prophoto wrote:

On the old version of Bridge I could go to Tools, Photoshop and create a PDF Presentation.

In CS6 there is no option to create a PDF Presentation.

I assume that there's another more confusing way to do it  now!?!

In Photoshop CS6 there is File > Automate > PDF Presentation.

In Bridge CS6 use the Output workspace to create a PDF presentation.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,971 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 1, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to conroy

Yes PDF presentation was removed from Photoshop then put back in Photoshop because there were many complaints made about its removal and the need to have to keep CS3 installed for PDF presentation support. It was not put back in the same place.  The Bridge output module also lack some of the feature found in Photoshop's Photo Web Galleries that it was intended to replace.  Photoshop's old Photo Web galleries feature can also be installed into CS6 if you need to.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points