I'm noticing dramatically slower performance when packaging my mobile app as 'ipa-ad-hoc' compared to 'ipa-test'. This is a new issue with Air 3.5. This hasn't been an issue with previous Air SDKs (3.1 thru 3.4, etc.). Render mode is 'Direct'.
I am packaging from the command line with this syntax:
"/SDK/AdobeAIRSDK35/bin/adt" -package -target ipa-ad-hoc -provisioning-profile "./WORK/Apple/test_app.mobileprovision" -storepass my_secret_pass -storetype pkcs12 -keystore "./mycert.p12" ./test_app.ipa ./test-app.xml platformsdk "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platfo rm/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS6.0.sdk"
Here is what I've tried so far:
What else can I check? I'm racking my brain looking for the magic bullet.
Below is my app.xml file.
Thank you for your help!
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<!-- iOS specific capabilities -->
1. What do you mean "performance while packaging"?
2. Isn't it normal for packaging ad-hoc to take a _lot_ longer than fast-mode test compile because of the massive amount of extra work that needs to be done converting ActionScript instructions into native ARM ones?
I'm sorry I should clarify. The performance of the app stinks when packaged with the 'ipa-ad-hoc' mode compared to 'ipa-test'. This is opposite of what I usually see.
My problem is similar to the question asked here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4390609 but in my case clearing the compiler options doesn't help me.
That's weird, for sure.
I've had no issue with 3.5 bar the download performance bug introduced with 3.4 on Android.
Does the issue disappear if you revert to 3.4? Eg: Are you sure you have made no other changes that could affect this?
It sounds like, if you can be more specific about what features are affected performance-wise, you should submit a bug report.
Can you narrow down the items that behave badly and maybe generate a simple demonstration app?
I wanted to follow up with my solution. After much troubleshooting I determined that packaging from the command line requires a different syntax after AIR 3.5.
I was using this (note the direct call to the ADT binary)
"/SDK/AdobeAIRSDK35/bin/adt" -package -target ipa-ad-hoc -provisioning-profile "./WORK/Apple/test_app.mobileprovision" -storepass my_secret_pass -storetype pkcs12 -keystore "./mycert.p12" ./test_app.ipa ./test-app.xml platformsdk"/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platfo rm/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS6.0.sdk"
I found that this approach results in a fast running AIR app (note the alternative approach calling Java)
/usr/bin/java -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -jar "/SDK/FlexSDK4_6_With_Air3_6/lib/adt.jar" -package -target ipa-ad-hoc -provisioning-profile "./WORK/Apple/test_app.mobileprovision" -storepass my_secret_pass -storetype pkcs12 -keystore "./mycert.p12" ./test_app.ipa ./test-app.xml platformsdk"/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platfo rm/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS6.0.sdk"
I wish I could explain why this worked ... but it does.