Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

pattern

Nov 30, 2012 5:47 PM

I have made a striped pattern and defined it so its a swatch but when I select an object and click on the swatch , in the appearacne panel it shows that the swatch is the fill but I cannot see the pattern, its just transparent?? I dont understand why? ANyone might have a clue?  Thanks

I followed these steps 5 times - http://www.bittbox.com/illustrator/how-to-create-a-seamless-diagonal-p attern-in-illustrator

But still it doesnt work?? After I crop it seems to be when it stops working because I tested before the crop and it worked

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 1, 2012 4:18 AM   in reply to Arrakis

Did you apply the pattern to the fill or to the stroke of the object?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to Arrakis

Make sure the pattern is on the fill, not the stroke. Also make sure the pattern isn't so big on the piece that you only see a small part of the pattern, which would make it appear solid.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 5:38 PM   in reply to Arrakis

Why are you using a crop? There's no reason for it. Just make a no fill/no stroke path the size of the art board and send it to the back of the stack; then select all and drag to the swatch panel. Name it and you are done. By the way, you can rotate any pattern to an angle using the Rotate tool and deselecting the box for Objects in the dialog.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 3:13 AM   in reply to Arrakis

That tutorial is very silly.

Firstly, if you want to make a pattern with diagonal stripes you don’t draw the pattern with diagonal stripes.

You draw the stripes straight (vertical or horizontal) and then rotate the pattern after you make the swatch. It’s much easier to do it that way.

Secondly, you should not crop pattern elements to fit the tile. They should bleed beyond the backmost no-fill no-stroke rectangle. Otherwise you will most likely get those fine lines between pattern tiles that so many people complain about.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points