Skip navigation
adastrina
Currently Being Moderated

My file gets corrupted while editing it

Dec 2, 2012 10:14 PM

It happened already twice. I am working in one of my layers, I am changing the levels , the image in that layer gets black. I cant undo or go back in history. In the history pallette the original picture at the top goes black. If I try to save, all the layers get corrupted, with missing arbitrary squares in  all of them. The first time it happens the missing areas where white, the second time they change to black. The top picture in the history pallette maches the black or white color.

The small picture in the icon in my desktop looks normal , but when open is tottally corrupted. If I have other files open, all of them get corrupted also if I tried to save.

Replies
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Dec 1, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to adastrina

Adastrina,

We need more details please. What are you using - Photoshop (Standard or Extended) or Photoshop Elements? What version? What computer - Windows or Mac? What version?

Also, if it is Photoshop, when something doesn't go right usually, the first thing you could try would be to clear your preferences: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776

Try that and see if it works. If it is Photoshop Elements or if the preference trashing doesn't fix the issue, do post back so we could give you further advice.

-ST

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Dec 2, 2012 1:40 AM   in reply to adastrina

So now has clearing the prefs fixed your issue or does it still persist?

If it still persists, can you go to Help > System Info, copy & paste that here for us to review?

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Dec 6, 2012 7:37 PM   in reply to adastrina

Glad to hear that.

Maybe when you turn on GL, you could work on a mock file (not a real work file!) so even if it crashes or gets corrupted, you're not at loss.

System Info - No, there is no sensitive information there. You can feel safe about posting it here.

-ST

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Dec 7, 2012 10:47 PM   in reply to adastrina

Can Adobe send you a virus?

Certainly not! This doesn't sound like a virus issue at all.

(I recieved a couple of messages from Adobe to let me know that the license was expired)

Only Creative Cloud licenses can and will expire. Perpetual licenses never expire. Volume License Agreement does - but this, in no way affects the actual licenses that were purchased during the tenure of the Volume License Period. You may want to investigate the e-mail you received about this to ensure it is legit from Adobe. If not, you may want to contact Adobe Customer Care and let them know about this.

Memory available to Photoshop: 3764 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 88 %

Your system has a total of 4GB of RAM. You're letting Photoshop use 3764MB - while more the RAM merrier Photoshop experience, you still need to consider the memory needed by your OS itself. You may want to reduce this to about 70% or something to see if that makes a difference at all in terms of in-application processing. To do this, Photoshop (from Menu bar) > Preferences > Performance > Change the area that says 'Let Photoshop Use...'

Plug-ins that failed to load:

Lighting Effects NO VERSION - 32-bit plug-in not supported in 64-bit - from the file “Lighting Effects.plugin”

Send Video Preview to Device NO VERSION - 32-bit plug-in not supported in 64-bit - from the file “FireWire Export.plugin”

Variations NO VERSION - 32-bit plug-in not supported in 64-bit - from the file “Variations.plugin”

Video Preview NO VERSION - 32-bit plug-in not supported in 64-bit - from the file “FireWire Export.plugin”

These plug-ins are failing to load in Photoshop for you. From Adobe site http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/plug-ins-photoshop-cs5.html:

Photoshop CS5 on Mac OS was reworked on a fundamental level to run as a 64-application under the 64-bit versions of Mac OS. Therefore, old and 32-bit plug-ins don't run, can return errors, or cause crashes when you use them in the 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Photoshop.

To be able to use these plug-ins you need to run Photoshop CS5 in 32-bit mode on Mac OS. To do this, Go to Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS5 folder. Right click the Adobe Photoshop CS5.app > Get Info. Enable 'Open in 32-bit mode' option as shown in screenshot below.

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/kb/en/828/cpsid_82824/images/GetInfo.jpg

Try these steps to see if any one of them or all of them make a difference.

Let us know how it goes.

-ST

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points