Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"Overwrite with sequence content"

Dec 1, 2012 6:47 AM

Hi guys , I am swtiching from fcp 7.03 to premier pro 6.02 is the any way to  use the " Overwrite Sequence Content" command as there is in FCP or mimic the way Avid handles seq-to-seq editing.  so i can edit the original clip of a seq in an other sequence preserveing the original clips and not a nested sequence ?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 1, 2012 7:11 AM   in reply to MartinBasilio

Try Ctrl+Shift+F.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to MartinBasilio

I am unfamiliar with Avid and FCP.

So you must be asking for something I do not understand or is just plain not available...

Sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

I'm with Ann.  I don't really understand what it is you're asking for here.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 11:58 AM   in reply to MartinBasilio

Martin,

I am also desperate for this functionality. I like to make select sequences, then use them as a source for the actual edit. I do this all the time in FCP and Avid. I believe it does not exist in Premiere. I've been opening 2 timelines and cutting and pasting. Slow. Stupid. Annoying.

Let me know if the feature gets added when I'm not looking.

Best,

Larry

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 9:18 PM   in reply to larry334

I still don't understand what 'feature' you guys are looking for.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 10:14 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim,

Imagine that you've created a 5 minute video that you'd like to cut down to 60 seconds. On other NLEs, you could put the 5 minute video in your source monitor, mark in and out points for the part you want and make an overwrite or insert edit. When you do this, you'd find the 10 shots you chose in the new timeline, instead of one big clip with your 5 minute sequence name. The Premiere way, you cannot know where each shot starts and ends, you cannot match frame, you cannot make an EDL.

Premiere forces you to open the 5 minute sequence, select the clips you want, copy them, open your one minute sequence, and paste or paste insert. Most of that process requires time consuming mousing all over the screen. All this would take a few quick keystrokes in FCP or Avid. I'll bet I could make rough version of such a cut down at least 5 times as fast on the other NLEs.

Best,

Larry

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 8:39 AM   in reply to larry334
    Premiere forces you to open the 5 minute sequence, select the clips you want, copy them, open your one minute sequence, and paste or paste insert.

Not quite.  You can open a sequence in the Source Monitor, set your In/Out points, then add that segment to the new sequence right from there, just as you would any other clip.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 9:43 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Now I understand: just drag the sequence from the Project Window into the Source Monitor.

You can do the same with nested sequences.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 12:32 PM   in reply to larry334

I don't know if you've solved this issue but there is now a toggle button that changes the edit action between cutting in a nested sequence, or cutting in the clips from said sequence.  It's called something ridiculously long but descriptive like: Insert and Overwrite Sequences as Nests Or Individual Clips.

It's exactly what we've all been looking for.  And, I must say, it actually outperforms FCP and Avid in that it's a simple toggle.  You don't have two separate commands for insert nested sequence, and insert individual clips.  You just have insert, and you can turn that funcitonality on and off.

I don't know why nobody else seemed to get what you were asking for, or the workflow you were describing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 1:04 PM   in reply to chillyche

Thank you! I've been in FCP land since the latest version came out and I haven't had time to poke around yet. What I have seen, I like  a lot.

Best,

Larry

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 1:34 PM   in reply to chillyche

I don't know why nobody else seemed to get what you were asking for, or the workflow you were describing.

Probably because we've never had it or used it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 10:20 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Fair enough.  I assumed that Premiere users had migrated from FCP or Avid at some point, and were familiar with cutting from select sequences.  It saves the time of having to load tons of clips to find which is the best for a particular moment, just load the sequence, and watch 'em all, or jump to the best one. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to chillyche

I assumed that Premiere users had migrated from FCP or Avid at some point

I did myself, but over a decade ago when an Avid machine cost $80,000 and was Mac based.  $1,200 for a Matrox breakout with Premiere 6.5 included that could be installed on my current Windows machine was a much better deal for a small business, and I never looked back.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 12:46 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Copy that. I remember those days.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers