Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I get rid of the spaces in my custom pattern brush?

Dec 1, 2012 11:25 AM

Tags: #custom #illustrator #space #brush #pattern #custom_brushes

I'm exploring custom brushes in Illustrator (CS6) but cannot figure out how to get rid of the spaces in between my brush pattern. I have the brush stretched to fit and the spacing at 0% but there is still a tiny gap before each pattern repetition. I tried to make the spacing a negative % but you can't do that Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

brushprobs.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 1, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to weasel19

Welcome to the Illustrator Forum weasel19.

Make sure the left and right edges match each other, also ensure that each is perfectly straight vertically.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 11:36 AM   in reply to W_J_T

Draw a no-fill, no-stroke rectangle behind the artwork. This rectangle is used as the bounding area of rhte pattern. Ensure what is at the rectangles edges line up.

If you drag the artwork from the Brush Panel to the artboard you'll see that Illustrator already created a rectangle. You can simply adjust that rctangle then drag the artwork back tot he Brush Panel holding the Option/Alt key down and rop it on top of hte existing artwork to replace it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to [scott w]

[scott w]'s suggestion will allow for what I stated via a dynamic fashion where actual editing of your brush shape is not needed, good call [scott w] nice suggestion. But it still will not allow for the left and right edges to match each other using this method by itself aside from ensuring that the edges are straight. It will make the edges straight but the two sides may have different appearances, heights , etc., and this will still be noticeable as it repeats, unless you make the two edges match.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to W_J_T

But it still will not allow for the left and right edges to match each other using this method by itself aside from ensuring that the edges are straight. It will make the edges straight but...

No it won't. The rear invisible rectangle does not clip the artwork in the Brush tile; it only determines the spacing. The tiles will overlap, which in this case may be fine, since it's a scribble pattern anyway.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 4:12 PM   in reply to JETalmage

JETalmage wrote: No it won't. The rear invisible rectangle does not clip the artwork in the Brush tile; it only determines the spacing. The tiles will overlap, which in this case may be fine, since it's a scribble pattern anyway.

Hey Jack thanks for stopping by. I am aware of what the empty rectangle does, but it would not work in all cases. Sure it might be acceptable with a scribble where randomness is present, but since the OP stated "I'm exploring custom brushes in Illustrator" I thought I would point it out as they continue their exploration to have as a consideration going forward, since not all brushes or designs are based on scribbles. But argue away if you desire, function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))} blah... blah...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 4:49 PM   in reply to W_J_T

I am aware of what the empty rectangle does...

Evidently not. You said:

...It will make the edges straight but...

But it won't. (Thus my reply.)

...but it would not work in all cases...

And who said it would work in "all cases", WJT?

On the other hand, though, the technique of intentionally causing Pattern Brush tile artwork to overhang the spacing is a feature most commonly used to advantage.  Without it, Pattern Brushes would be hugely debilitated.

It's used in almost all of these PatternBrush examples:

And my name's not Jack.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 6:11 PM   in reply to JETalmage

JETalmage wrote: And my name's not Jack.

All I can do is chuckle at you and your overall approach to others here at the forum. Its comical your dialogs, especially given what one comes across when searching the forum. As long as it makes you feel good I guess that's what counts, carry on with your self-important dissertations and with the void of all humility, at least its amusing if absolutely nothing else for others.

Oh, and my name is not W_I_T either.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 6:58 PM   in reply to W_J_T

I see.

When you (erroneously) dispute perfectly sound advice in post 3, it's constructive "correction."

But when I correct your clear factual error it's "arguing" and deserving of personal insult.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 7:25 PM   in reply to JETalmage

JETalmage wrote: I see. When you (erroneously) dispute perfectly sound advice in post 3, it's constructive "correction." But when I correct your clear factual error it's "arguing" and deserving of personal insult.

Oh Jack, just give it a rest, you know you will fight it to death as you always do to be esteemed in your own mind. But if you wish to keep talking to yourself carry on. I admit fault, so carry on elsewhere with your same approach and wonderful ways.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 5:43 AM   in reply to W_J_T

...so carry on elsewhere with your same approach and wonderful ways.

I'll of course do just that, Betty. With or without your "permission" and without any concern whatsoever about your approval.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to JETalmage

Right on cue … drum roll … same historical formula as always …

JETalmage wrote: I'll of course do just that, Betty. With or without your "permission" and without any concern whatsoever about your approval.

Yes, that was a foregone conclusion by anyone whom has ever read your posts or had the privilege to interact with you. I doubt anyone questions your knowledge James or lacks to appreciate it, but the arrogance and belittling manner in which it is delivered is what generally is called into question along with the absence of humility on your part. But as you just stated and have surely demonstrated over time, you could care less. Sigh.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 5:39 AM   in reply to W_J_T

You need to go back and read this thread. This conversation between you and me.

What in my first reply to you (post 5) set you off on your personal attack?

You need to discuss facts, not personalities.

You're carrying some chip on your shoulder about me. I can't help you with that.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 7:59 AM   in reply to JETalmage

JETalmage wrote: You need to discuss facts, not personalities.

Well unfortunately (for everyone) your personality traits, aside from your knowledge, are factual to which I am speaking. Anyone whom reads your posts can see these same facts which I have referred to. Just because you don't wish to accept these facts, do not in fact, make them fiction. Which seems to be the imaginary world in which you hold your own importance.

JETalmage wrote: You're carrying some chip on your shoulder about me. I can't help you with that.

Well actually you could have. Instead of rebuking me and treating me like your unfortunate step child in your Private Message, when I politely inquired about acquiring some of your well referenced scripts when I first joined the forum. Myself at the time, being new to the Adobe Forums, you acted as if and expected me to somehow know the history of things and why you carry yourself with such self importance, why you no longer offer your scripts for others (which seems to be partly the whole "my ball I am going home" concept), oh and the rather bullying tactic of demanding of me to "keep quite" about things didn't help either. So those first hand occurrences, coupled with now using and searching the forum and seeing how you interact with others on a regular basis, well I suppose I did have some unsettled emotions concerning your inept ability to have healthy interpersonal communications and have some level of self confidence without the need for regularly belittling others to boost your fragile self worth and facade of self importance.

-------

Moderators: You're more than welcome to delete this whole conversation back to JET's post 5 and leave it at that, it has obviously added nothing to the actual threads value. I apologize to everyone else, I could not hold my balance upon James' egg shells which everyone seems to be required to walk upon in his self imposed imperial presence. As stated I appreciate his knowledge, just not the vainglory and lack of humility in which he yields it to others.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 6:26 AM   in reply to W_J_T

So that's what this is all about?

WJT, this is exactly why I, as a matter of principle, do not use the "personal message" feature in this forum. As you demonstrate, there is nothing "personal" about them if a correspondent can't be trusted for confidentiality. As I have stated several times, Adobe should provide users with an opt-out on that forum feature. But they don't. It's automatically turned on for all participants here. That's bad design, but there's nothing I can do about it.

I made an exception in your case, and answered you, because you kept sending PMs asking for scripts, which obviously I have chosen, for my own reasons, to take down from my site.  My script pages were originally created as an XHTML class assignment. For a while, I used it as a convenience when referencing scripts from posts in this forum. I took it down because other websites were increasingly linking to it without permission, and went back to my original practice of manually entering links individually on threads as I need to. That is entirely my business, and none of yours.

Whatever it is you are trying to change about me ain't gonna happen. Give it up. Take your own advice and "give it a rest." You are neither the Forum Sheriff nor the Personality Police here.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 9:57 PM   in reply to JETalmage

JETalmage wrote: I made an exception in your case, and answered you, because you kept sending PMs asking for scripts, which obviously I have chosen, for my own reasons, to take down from my site.

And what a privilege and joy it was to actually receive your terse, belittling and arrogant response.

You could have chosen to be polite with your response, knowing I would have no idea of your back story or reasons for your actions, a simple "I am sorry I no longer offer my scripts for others to download, but thanks for your interest". But instead I get berated by you, again as if I have any knowledge of things even though I was new to the forum and would obviously have no way of knowing. The reason I Private Messaged you (btw only) 3 times was, the first to first inquire 3 days after I joined the forum, the second thinking you probably get many and wanting to follow up a week later, the third as a final follow up an entire month later. I was extremely polite, appreciative and professional in all my PM's to you James. Should I then feel privileged that you chose to respond even though you berated me and were completely arrogant in your response? The original reason I signed up to be part of this forum was to be able to get in contact with you, hoping to acquire some of your scripts, wanting to learn from them and utilize them as I began scripting Illustrator. Again I was very gracious and polite in expressing these matters and desires to you. How was I or anyone to know you don't like receiving PM's or to know your decisions and intentions? May times you find dead links on the web due to a multitude of reasons and many times you contact the content owner and they are unaware of the issue and fix the issue, or professionally address the matter. So how is anyone to know different in your case, aside from you thinking your instance is somehow special.

In that regard if you don't like PM's and didn't want people bothering you, why didn't you get rid of the generic server error pages that lead to no where concerning your scripts and instead set up simple redirects (perhaps not learned as part of your class assignment) to a simple explanation page with your intentions, from all those dead links. Obviously people like myself new to scripting illustrator may come across references to your scripts from various places, yet how are they to know you, your reasons, etc., just like myself? Oh and the real reason you responded to me was not because of my 3 PM inquiries, it was because and came only after I posted in your Random Patchwork Sphere thread, over a month later, after not hearing anything from you. In that thread I acknowledged at that point your dislike for PM's and again graciously and politely talked about both you and your scripts. But you chose to be completely rude to me in response, via your wonderful Private Message, which you seem to think I should feel privileged to have received.

I was at no fault in doing so James, especially approaching you so politely and respectfully as I did. But I was at that point unaware of how you interact with others in life and regarding what such high esteem you hold yourself. I am not the only one who see's the things in which I have addressed and commented on in this thread about how you deal with and treat others. Many of the current prominent members have each made some declaration of your rudeness and arrogance at some point or another as can be found when coming across older threads or even new ones for that matter.

JETalmage wrote: Whatever it is you are trying to change about me ain't gonna happen. Give it up. Take your own advice and "give it a rest." You are neither the Forum Sheriff nor the Personality Police here.

Sounds rather amusing coming from the person whom told me exactly what I "was" and mostly "wasn't" allowed to do going forward in your PM response to me, you know, your gag order to me. I am merely here to humbly learn and help (not for points or accolades of any kind), I didn't sign up to be apart of your nonsense, but as stated previously now that I have been here a while I clearly and sadly see how you are. I didn't expect anything I say in this thread to cause you to have any amount of self reflection. Someone like yourself so highly esteemed even if its in their own mind probably has no ability whatsoever to find fault within themselves or see a need for change, regardless of how erroneous those faults and personal characteristics may be and how they impact others.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 4:55 AM   in reply to W_J_T

WJT, ingrates like you,  looking a gift horse in the mouth, are one reason why I've become less inclined to share scripts. You're a whiney brat, pitching tantrums and hurling insults when you don't get your way.

We're here to discuss Illustrator. Do that, or shut up.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 9:55 AM   in reply to JETalmage

JETalmage wrote: WJT, ingrates like you,  looking a gift horse in the mouth, are one reason why I've become less inclined to share scripts. You're a whiney brat, pitching tantrums and hurling insults when you don't get your way.

Deflection tactics, valiant attempt James, very clinical in your approach.

It may even half work for those skimming the conversation here, or ones who wish to be naive to your common tactics. But its actually both quite comical and inaccurate in reality, you choosing to make two references to my ungratefulness. But for me to in fact be ungrateful as you wish to deem upon me, well we both know that simply is not the case. You see aside from your arrogance, berating, rudeness and belittling, aside from those things I never actually received anything from you James. And as far as you claiming whiney tantrums, well that too is not the case. As that would indicate I am still in some way trying to get something from you or mad that I can not, but that simply is not the case, aside from perhaps getting an admission that you handled the situation poorly in hindsight. I merely instead wished to air my grievances with you over the way in which you chose to treat me (as detailed and described above previously), as well as the way you continue to interact with others as I have come to see here at the forum over time. Nothing more, nothing less. You can keep your scripts in your private carriage house, I don't mind at all, really, thats perfectly your choice. What I instead took exception to was the manner in which you vehemently responded to my polite inquiry, simple as that.

Once again, your own inadequacies (as outlined previously above) in which you handled the matter could have prevented such a dialog between us. I was in fact quite gracious, professional and polite in my contact with you James, you may wish to reflect upon that when trying to recall the actual facts. You may also consider not deflecting your own inadequacies and decisions upon others and trying to use these diversions to push blame and fault upon others, while neglecting responsibility for your own actions towards others. Probably a tall order sadly however given your own self imposed importance. Nothing that "I" personally did brought upon the changes which you now harbor, so do not place blame upon me for your personal decisions and traits that you choose to heap upon yourself before we ever crossed paths. Instead take some accountability for your own actions and the way in which you choose to carry yourself amongst others and how they then will undoubtedly react to these ill-conceived methods you project upon others and thus the responses that you bring upon yourself.

JETalmage wrote: We're here to discuss Illustrator. Do that, or shut up.

You may wish to employ that very tactic when you decide to be your terse arrogant self to others. In other words speaking in "horse terms" as you have now chosen. You may wish to chomp down on the bit, when your feeling uncomfortable or when you want to gallop into your berating, belittling ways towards others here at the forum, and bridle those inappropriate characteristics which you possess. I am sure everyone would be pleased if you would pull the reins on your terse ways with others and not hide behind the blinders of your own self perceptions and the gait in which you carry yourself. We all appreciate the girth of your knowledge, just not the balking in which you choose to continue your ways with others, we would all appreciate if those arrogant, belittling, berating, rude traits which you have branded yourself with be put out to pasture James. You can however continue to choose to bolt from reality and the facts if you wish, however this will continue to give the herd colic from your abrasive jousting ways, that's simply what happens when you crossbreed reality with your own false beliefs. You can buck all you want James but too many people have expressed these same things in which I am again pointing out. But much like with horses, insecurity can cause such  tendencies to breed within one's self.

You may want to circle your wagons and dwell upon all these things if your able and willing. Just food for thought, from the feeding bucket that is life. Otherwise I am able and willing to shake hooves, bury the horseshoe and trot away with no ill feelings towards you James. I'll leave it to you James, your the only one whom can saddle up and do the same.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to W_J_T

Geez, W_J_T, cannot you let this go?

Many people likely have read enough of the thread to figure out who the characters are. Me? I keep reading this thread like passing a train wreck. I cannot help myself from looking.

Character assassination is unseemly. So is perpetuating this arguement. It is not helping anyone on the forum nor yourself.

As a reader/searcher of the forum more than a poster, I have read countless threads in an attempt to resolve issues I face. Of those threads--and this one--I do know who's advice I can count on way more often than not (has there been a "not"?).

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to MW Design

MikeWenzloff wrote:

Hi MikeWenzloff , yes actually, I already stated this very desire...

W_J_T wrote:

.... Otherwise I am able and willing to shake hooves, bury the horseshoe and trot away with no ill feelings towards you James. I'll leave it to you James, your the only one whom can saddle up and do the same.

The question is now, is James willing to let it go? I am not the first nor the last whom have called him into question, given your searching of the forum, you have surely seen such things. I am sure even more have been afraid to address him, some have, some haven't. Anyway, that's that.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 11:37 AM   in reply to W_J_T

MikeWenzloff wrote:

Hi MikeWenzloff , yes actually, I already stated this very desire...

Well, then, simply don't respond further. It doesn't matter what "the other guy" does or doesn't do. All that matters is what we do as individuals. Really, your missives have been excessive diatribes without much substance. And certainly do not help the forum.

For myself, this will be my last post to the thread. Take the suggestion or not.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 12:20 PM   in reply to MW Design

MikeWenzloff wrote: All that matters is what we do as individuals.

Very true Mike, and none are exempt, regardless of knowledge or stature. I acknowledge I should have held my peace, regardless of others actions. I errored in that regard, my fault for not being stronger in that regard on the matter.

MikeWenzloff wrote: excessive ... without much substance.

I acknowledge exorbitant dialog, and apologize for that, however the factual substance remains, and again it's truly nothing new around here.

MikeWenzloff wrote: And certainly do not help the forum.

Agreed, thats why I already admitted and stated...

W_J_T wrote: Moderators: You're more than welcome to delete this whole conversation back to JET's post 5 and leave it at that, it has obviously added nothing to the actual threads value. I apologize to everyone ....

[admitfault][apologize][cease][silence]W_J_T[/silence][/cease][/apolog ize][/admitfault]

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points