Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 Bridge Under Windows 8 Slow Response

Dec 2, 2012 12:14 PM

Tags: #windows_8 #bridge_cs6 #slow_response

When I use CS6 Bridge in Windows 8 (64 bit) it takes about 10 seconds to open a folder.  I select an image from the grid and press the spacebar to see it full size.  It takes another 10 seconds.  If I go to the Menu Bar and click on an item such as Window it takes about 10 seconds to get the drop down list, but if I then slide the cursor over to View and click on it, the menu appears right away and if I then click on Full Screen Preview, the  full size image appears immediately.  When I check the Widows Resource Monitor there is no unusual activity occurring during these 10 second intervals.  It is as if the program is in a wait state pending some event.

When I was running CS6 under Windows 7 (32 bit) everything worked fine.  When I run CS4 Bridge on Windows 8 (64 bit) it also runs fine.  I have purged the cache, and increaed cache size but to no avail.  My system has lots of processing speed, memory and disk space.

Does anyone know what I could do to get CS6 Bridge running correctly in my Windows 8 environment?   Is it possible that there is some kind of incompatibility with
Bridge, Windows 8 and the GPU?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 3, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to image_gsam

Bridge CS5 and below are all 32 bit applications.  If you run CS6 in 32 bit mode under Win 8 how does it compare to operation in Win 7 32 bit?

If you use the slide show feature in Win 8 how does it act compared to Win 7?  If slower it could be the video card driver.  If so open edit/preferences/advanced and check "use software rendering" and see if that makes a difference.  If it does it is definitely the video card or driver.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 6:59 AM   in reply to image_gsam

When you installed CS6 did you accept the default?  If so it also installed the 32 bit version.  Open Win. Explorer and click on Programs(X86) then Adobe and Bridge.  Expand Bridge and look down list the the B icon (bridge.exe).  Open it.  Make sure no other Bridge is running.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 8:21 AM   in reply to image_gsam

Not an expert in computers but you may be looking at some software interaction.  The primary suspect is the anti-virus program.  Might try a temp. disable and see if that helps.  I have read some posts where they were using some small brand of anti-virus program and had to uninstall it to stop the delay in photoshop functions.  Just disabling it did not work they posted.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 8:22 AM   in reply to Curt Y

If you find solution please post back as others may have same problem in future.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 6:33 PM   in reply to image_gsam

image_gsam wrote:

[...]

I've opened this as a case with Adobe support "technicians" but that has not got me anywhere.  I'll stick with them and see if it can be resolved.  Thanks again for your help - - George

I've posted about the same delays, a week or two ago and again today... I just noticed your post and see you are having the same problems that I see.

Has adobe responded in any way to your query?

In my case, I end up using CS5 bridge since the hefty delays in CS6 render it too slow to do real work with.

However, some things cannot be done from CS5.. an example is selecting images and sending them thru photoshops image processor.

That is normally done by an item on the tools menu... but CS5 does not have that item unless I also run CS4 photoshop (don't have CS5 PS).  So I have to revert to a CS4 version of PS to do chores involving photoshops "Image processor". There may be a way to make that item appear on the CS5 brigde menu, but I don't know it.

Fortunately that doesn't come up real often so having CS5 stand in for bridge while using all the CS6 tools seems to be the best I can do so far.

The fact that there is such a remakable difference between the performance of CS5 compared to CS6 brige is probably a hefty clue toward discovering what is causing the problem... if only soneone at adobe will look into it.

Please keep us posted as to any resolutions you may get.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 4:21 PM   in reply to image_gsam

I'm having the same problem under Windows 8 x64 too! Even selecting from one folder to the next without opening it, pauses Bridge for 10+ seconds. It's weird because Lightroom doesn't have this issue so I figure it must be specific to something within Bridge. I'm not on an AMD CPU either if that makes any difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 3:11 PM   in reply to image_gsam

You should use the manufacture website for the driver updates.  Microsoft may be 6 mo. behind.

Drivers for Win 7 are still having problems catching up to CS6 and Win 8 will be further behind.  That is problem with any new OS. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2012 7:47 PM   in reply to image_gsam

Hi again!

My GPU is an Nvidia Geforce GTX 275, just for the record. I've just done some tests and no, I don't get the pause when using the menus! I have found a workaround too, though it's less than ideal. I have found that after every click that causes the pause, if I hover my mouse cursor over another open application's task bar item (so that you get the preview box) it instantly un-pauses Bridge. Something to do with changing the focus of the window?

I wonder if anyone knows if all or part of Adobe Bridge is running on the Adobe Air platform, because I'm experiencing this same behaviour inside a game that runs on Adobe Air!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 3:37 PM   in reply to JaredM3D

I posted about the same problem although I'm running Win7/64.  The performance is U N B E A R A B L Y  slow.  Same as posted above.  Click and wait 10 seconds for a responce.

I'm on a beast of a machine.  Supermicro server running

Win 7/64

CS6 Creative Suite (Cloud)

Dual Xeon X5650

48Gb RAM

Quadro 4000 (GUI)

2x GTX 570's (Render cards for Resolve)

Red Rocket

SSD - OS

RAID 0 - Media

Seperate cache drive

External RAID for render target

Drivers are updated.

Even with all that Bridge is a total slug.  Please help Adobe!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 12:42 PM   in reply to Tayedrummer

I am havig the same problem. I contacted Adobe and no response. This is a disgrace! I wonder what it will take tp get some action with this problem. It seems to affect a lot of users. I am using Windows 7 64bit and have been experiencing the same issues "S l o w response"! What is going on at Adobe?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 3:34 PM   in reply to image_gsam

What a few are experiencing is very unsual so it is likely there is some software conbination in common with the affected machines.   Since the problem is not wide spread there is no one at Adobe working on it to my knowledge.  First the problem has to be identified so it can be recreated on an Adobe computer. 

What you are trying is on the right track trying to see what is common to see if problem can be isolated.   It appears that once the mouse is clicked  the OS subroutine is called to answer and that takes 10 seconds.  What could cause this I have no idea, but seems like software interaction.  Anti-virus, is always 1st on list as it checks each command to see if it is  OK..   See if there is any common thread there.

Seems unlikely that it is a video drive unless you are using a really ancient one.  But that is "on the list" of things to try so was suggested.

The best bet is to get an Adobe engineer to take control of your machine and see what it happening, download some logs, etc.

And keep at it as if you relent the problem for Adobe is solved. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 5:55 PM   in reply to image_gsam

Hi fellow Photoshop user,

It is easy for Adobe to blame other software. If one puts out a software

application (especially an entity as large and powerful as Adobe), it

better work right. Bridge CS6 does not! There is no excuse, other than

corporate laziness and complacency! I think I will skip upgrades until

this problem is resolved.

By the way, I tried the AMD/ATI driver that was last was approved for

Photoshop (I think it was released sometime in 2011) with no

improvement. Needless to say, I reverted to the current driver. By the

way, the delay on my system is around 16 seconds (I timed it) from the

time I right-clicked on a photo to when the context menu popped up.

Totally unacceptable!

Jac

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 5:56 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Hi fellow Photoshop user,

It is easy for Adobe to blame other software. If one puts out a software

application (especially an entity as large and powerful as Adobe), it

better work right. Bridge CS6 does not! There is no excuse, other than

corporate laziness and complacency! I think I will skip upgrades until

this problem is resolved.

improvement. Needless to say, I reverted to the current driver. By the

way, the delay on my system is around 16 seconds (I timed it) from the

time I right-clicked on a photo to when the context menu popped up.

Totally unacceptable!

Jac

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 1:52 PM   in reply to image_gsam

My system does not have a problem with any other application. It

consists of Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, AMD FirePro V5900 (FireGL V)

with latest driver (9.003.3), Photoshop CS6, Intel i7, 3.07 GHz with 24

GB memory. BTW I still have CS5 on my machine and Bridge CS5 works

perfectly! Bou, of course if I use Bridge CS5 and click on a file to

open, it opens in Photoshp CS5. Not a problem by itself. The only

problem occurs when I want to use a "new" feature available only in CS6.

Jac

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to image_gsam

I am also using Windows Defender. I did not bother to disable it. It

does not make sense to disable your antivirus program for a

malfunctioning application.

Jac

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 4:42 PM   in reply to jfpmft

jfpmft wrote:

improvement.

The latest ATI driver was release about a month ago Catalysis 12.10.  It fixed some problems in 12.08 but added some others.  Current advice, at least for Photoshop, is to use 12.08.

Software interference is extremely difficult to narrow down as virtually every windows machine is different.  I have read posts where disabling the anti-virus did nothing, user had to uninstall before problem went away.  Not that this is the issue, but just an example how complex trouble shooting can be.

CS5 is not the same program as CS6, basically it was just recoded from 32 bit to 64 bit.  Someone with the problem might try the 32 bit CS6 version and see if there is any difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 9:56 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I can confirm the 32 bit version suffering from the same problem. I have tried purging the bridge cache, removing all the startup scripts and exiting virus software etc including Windows Defender.

I am using a Wacom tablet as my input device, is anyone else?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2013 4:05 PM   in reply to image_gsam

I have the same problem, my system is Win7/64. Bridge CS6 runs slow. All the same it is published above. Click and wait 10 seconds for a response.

My PC: Win 7/64, SSD - OS, i5, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, 16Gb RAM 

I use AVG antivirus. I tried to uninstall antivirus - the problem is not solved.

I use Bridge CS6 since early December (since 05.12.2012.) Bridge worked fine until three weeks ago - since then everything slowed down and delayed.

If anyone has a solution please let us know.

thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2013 4:09 PM   in reply to The Pljuc

What happened 3 weeks ago?  New hardware, new software, major software update, hard drive full? 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 2:43 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Installed new hardware. Added another hard disc for data.

I use the SSD for the system disc and 4 standard hard disc for data (500MB, 1TB and 2x2TB) - then I added another 3TB hard drive (now I have 5 discs).

With 5 internal disc connected to the PC five external disc of the same capacity for backup via USB. To synchronize using PureSync - synchronization works ok.

I use the same disc for Bridge cash as before (500GB), I tried to cash in with SSD - same problem.

Tried with the reinstallation BrideCS6 - the problem is not solved.

I installed the old Bridge CS5 - no problems.

Again I installed Bridge CS6 - again a problem - delay 10 sec

I'm losing the idea of ​​what else to do ...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 3:15 AM   in reply to The Pljuc

i had the same problem, bridge cs6 x64 was freezing constantly, now i'm now runing my cs6 bridge (5.0.2.4 x64) on my win8 in Vista SP2 compatibility mode and works fine

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to Ciwir

Thanks to you and mitelnz for this solution. It is not the ultimate solution (this would have to come from Adobe by way of a permanent fix) but this solution works. BTW I am using Windows 7 but same result. This shows that it is not a Windows 7 or 8 specific problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to Ciwir

I discussed this "solution" with Adobe back in July.  Here is their response.

"There really should be no reason that running in Vista compatability mode would change the behavior of the application. Vista and 7 are so similar at the fundamental level that there shouldn't be any advantage.   Really, this is likely pointing to a lack of OS updates being installed, or installed improperly. One person mentioned that a new user account fixed things. I have a feeling that would true of more folks who are willing to try it. I'll run this by my collegues though."

But if it works it is better than the alternative.    curt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 12:21 PM   in reply to Ciwir

Bravo Ciwir! Excellent!

Now working normally with me.

Thanks a lot Ciwir

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 5:14 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y wrote:

I discussed this "solution" with Adobe back in July.  Here is their response.

"There really should be no reason that running in Vista compatability mode would change the behavior of the application. Vista and 7 are so similar at the fundamental level that there shouldn't be any advantage.   Really, this is likely pointing to a lack of OS updates being installed, or installed improperly. One person mentioned that a new user account fixed things. I have a feeling that would true of more folks who are willing to try it. I'll run this by my collegues though."

But if it works it is better than the alternative.    curt

Surprisingly the bit about trying it under a different or new user actually works here.  All the aggruvating 5 to 10 second long freezes disappear when used under a fresh account.

Ok, so how can that be parlayed into being able to use Bridge CS6 under my own account?

Does the fact that it works as expected under a new fresh account point to something particular that needs changing or adjustment under my regular account?

The Adobe staff person seems to think it is most likely a problem of  (lack of) updates or incorrectly installed updates, but that would not have any bearing if changing to a new account fixes the problem would it?

PS - How does one run in Vista compat mode?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 5:25 PM   in reply to HarryPutnam

Setting up a new account in both the Mac and Windows environment has work on a number of vexing problems, including this one.  Why it takes a new account is unknown as in most cases every other option was tried.  It seems to boil down to some kind of a permission problem, or a default setting that does not want to be reset.  The new account sets it up like a fresh install.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 2:19 AM   in reply to HarryPutnam

How does one run in Vista compat mode?

Last night I had a job with the photos and these are the observations:

In Vista mode, no more 10 seconds of delay

When copying a file or move to a different folder takes longer than normal and I feel a bit more filling kesh (my Bridge kesh is the SSD disk!).

It's not perfect, but no more 10 seconds of delay when it was impossible to work

The problem is that Photoshop opens in Vista mode also if you run file from the Bridge - then I have some limitations in Photoshop (I have seen them at liqify filter) and PS working a little slower and less fluid than usually.

When I open Photoshop before Bridge and start file from Bridge - no these problems because Photoshop works in Win7 mode.

These are just first impressions - not perfect but it is much better

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 4:42 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y wrote:

Setting up a new account in both the Mac and Windows environment has work on a number of vexing problems, including this one.  Why it takes a new account is unknown as in most cases every other option was tried.  It seems to boil down to some kind of a permission problem, or a default setting that does not want to be reset.  The new account sets it up like a fresh install.

But do you concur that the fact of setting up in new account removing the problem, rules out it being an 'updates' problem as suggested by the Adobe staffer reponding to you?

Oh and please excuse the lazy request about compatability settings.  I googled up a howto in seconds.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 4:45 AM   in reply to The Pljuc

The Pljuc wrote:

[...]

The problem is that Photoshop opens in Vista mode also if you run file from the Bridge - then I have some limitations in Photoshop (I have seen them at liqify filter) and PS working a little slower and less fluid than usually.

When I open Photoshop before Bridge and start file from Bridge - no these problems because Photoshop works in Win7 mode.

Thank you Pljuc, for that bit of information.  I too have discovered that putting bridge into vista compat mode cures my freeze problem.

I had not yet run into the problem it can cause in photoshop that you descrive, but your work around to avoid that is most welcome.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to image_gsam

Unplug your network cable and see if the lag goes away.

I had the exact same problem, a 10 second lag when trying to certain tasks. After a month of troubleshooting, I finally discovered that it was, of all things, a networking problem. My company (like most companies) has a group policy in place that redirects my "Library" folders (Documents/Pictures/Videos ect) from my local drive, to a network drive. Bridge adds these locations to your "favorites" by default, and for some reason, it seems to puke all over itself if they're pointed to a place on the network.

How I fixed it

1. To make sure Bridge wasn't trying to cache to the network, I had IT stop redirecting my library locations to the network.

2. I removed any "favorites" that were pointed to a network drive.

I would try step 2 first, because I think this might have been the problem. I just had IT remove the library redirect because I my files are far too large to store on the network in the first place. It seems that IT directors don't like it when you fill up the company SAN with archived RAW files

Edit: I fogot to mention that I am on Windows 7 64bit

Message was edited by: Bender8472

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points