Skip navigation
dirt_
Currently Being Moderated

Comp renders as black screen, all standard settings

Dec 3, 2012 4:22 AM

My AE comp renders as a full-length video of a black screen (with audio, when enabled). Comp plays fine in RAM preview, and I've tried all types of codecs and disabling RAM intensive effects, though I'm working on a quad-core i7 macbook pro with 8 gigs of RAM, so that shouldn't be a problem. Have followed tutorials to a T, and haven't found any help elsewhere online. Standard 1080p hd output. Please help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 2, 2012 5:26 PM   in reply to dirt_

What standard output?  Lossless? Animation Codec? H.264 .... We need to know more about your render settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 6:52 PM   in reply to dirt_

Do you have any 3rd party codec pacs installed. Try rendering a few frames as a jpg sequence or rendering just a single frame as a Photoshop file.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 12:10 AM   in reply to dirt_

Assuming you are on CS6, set the comp viewer to final quality, turning off Fast previews. Furthermore, turn off the disk cache and check your graphics options. I suspect you have an issue there. Also monitor your rendering in Activity Monitor and verify, that actually there is processing activity and the auxiliary processes like the qtserver and dynamiclinkserver are active...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 3:02 AM   in reply to dirt_

Just guessing around, honestly. Regarding Fast Previews it could be an issue with footage decoding. That old thing with front-/back buffers (on-screen/ off-screen buffers) where hardware accelerated stuff will show up when drawing it on screen, but not if the buffer is rendered void during final rendering. I would still suspect that some of that is involved, possibly even a similar thing in Quicktime or anotehr system library, but as a non-Mac person my knowledge on current versions is limited in that area.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 4:26 AM   in reply to Mylenium

Try an extremely simple test composition without any footage. Follow the instructions here and report back.

Also, we need more details if we're going to help you. Please provide answers to the questions listed here: "FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?"

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2013 1:33 PM   in reply to dirt_

I had a similar problem with my AE CS6 with text layers. I tried to render the video but I only got black screen. I noticed that I had somehow my text layers checked as "guide layer". So I un-checked them and the render worked out well.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points