Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is the gradient color selection workflow fixed in CS6?

Dec 2, 2012 7:06 PM

http://www.bittbox.com/illustrator/illustrator-quick-tip-faster-gradie nt-color-adjustments

Double clicking the color in the toolbox panel to bring up the color picker, resets the angle of the gradient. The only way to use the color picker for a gradient color is to preselect it and place it in the color swatch. This is a blatantly incorrect implementation of a common workflow. Has this been fixed in CS6?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 2, 2012 8:07 PM   in reply to imagenesis media

Huh?

Your link has practically nothing to do with what you've posted. There are several methods to changing one color of a gradient, the least of which would be double-clicking anything to bring up the color picker. Illustrator is NOT Photoshop.

Double-clicking a color box in the Color Panel to bring up the color picker, resets the fill/stroke to a solid color. This is expected behavior. Since you are bringing up the color picker, Illustrator properly assumes you want to replace the fill/stroke color with whatever you choose in the color picker.

Double-clicking a gradient stop in the Gradient Panel or the Gradient Annotator pops up the color mode sliders.

The color picker is not as integrated inside Illustrator as it is in other apps, such as Photoshop. All the color information you need is in the Color Panel.

Perhaps you can explain a workflow where it's even necessary to bring up the color picker? I've not needed the color picker within Illustrator for years. I adjust everything in the Color Panel or via color pop ups.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 1:50 AM   in reply to imagenesis media

There's nothing wrong with wanting a color picker, but it's already there.

All the colors are right there in the Color Panel. The Color picker offers nothing additional. The behavior of double-clicking the color box in the Color Panel is exactly the same as clicking a solid color swatch in the Swatch Panel. It's consistent.

I understand that you want to double-click a color box and only alter a selected color stop in the gradient panel. But why go to all the trouble to implement such a thing when there are 3 or 4 other ways to alter gradient colors?? Hate to say it, but your issue is not an application issue, it's a workflow issue.

Be aware, this forum is filled with users, not necessarily Adobe staff. While there may be some staff helping with problems, this is generally not the route you want to take if you have a feature request. You're much better off filling out the wish form: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to imagenesis media

One workaround that may be faster than using a saved swatch is with nothing selected double click the color picker to select the desired color and close it. Select the object with the gradient. Drag the Last Color swatch from the Color panel and drop it on the desired stop in the Gradient panel.

By the way, I never use the Color picker because it doesn't update color until closed, its new/old swatches are not color managed, and unlike the Color Spectrum in the Color panel the colors on its palette are not limited to the CMYK gamut of CMYK documents, making it possible to select out of gamut colors, and on top of that  it is a modal dialog. But I can understand if others find it useful for different reasons. Actually, the thing that I like about it is that its palettes are larger and wish the Color Spectrum in the Color panel was possible to enlarge. Also the Color Picker is useful for comparing the color values between the different color models because they are displayed all at once - I wish Illustrator and for that matter all Adobe programs were able to open multiple instances of the color panel or alternatively  show multiple Color model sliders, for example I would love to have the HSB and CMYK sliders displayed at the same time instead of switching between them.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 10:40 PM   in reply to imagenesis media

Okay.....

The color panel is essentially useless. Adjusting color based on RGB values is incredibly difficult/retarded.

Possibly, of course there's a color ramp at the bottom of the Panel as well.

The number of colors available for a particular hue are very limited. There is no reasonable way to change the saturation of a color.

Really? Again show me a single color you can not achieve via the color panel which the color picker can.

As for saturation... I guess setting the panel to HSB (Hue/Saturation/Brightness) wouldn't qualify?

Because of it, there is essentially no way to select from a wide range of colors and be able to live preview the color for a gradient, a standard way of doing things in Photoshop and every other graphics software.

Hmmm... again... the color ramp means nothing? You can't move sliders? You've not tried Live Color/Recolor Artwork at all???

Why not just outright state that you aren't comfortable with Illustrator and want it to conform to things you are comfortable with rather than learning to use Illustrator.

The entire "every other graphics software" section is completely incorrect. Painter doesn't use the color picker the same way any Adobe app does. In fact, once you venture away from Adobe you find many graphics apps approach color selection in many different ways. And even within Adobe software.. explain Fireworks color selection....  Indesign color selection... After Effects color selection.... Even merely looking at Adobe products alone your statement falls apart. You just want it to "be like Photoshop."

Look, I totally "get" that some people prefer the way Photoshop works. And I understand that they may want everything to operate exactly like Photoshop does if for no other reason so they can seamlessly move from app to app with as little a learning curve as possible. The reality is, Illustrator is NOT Photoshop. You can complain until you are blue in the face, that's not going to change the app. Adapt or fail.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points