Skip navigation
Sascal
Currently Being Moderated

Unable to uninstall InDesign CS2 from Win 7 pc - removal tool needed

Dec 3, 2012 1:19 AM

Etnerally grateful if anyone can help with this...

I have the InDesign version from Creative Suite 2 (out of the ark I know, but yes there are compelling reasons why I need this version and not to upgrade - mainly that this is a charity and we have several copies of the licence and a lot of different people using the software).

I have a windows 7 machine and the software has worked fine on it for a year.

Last week I had the hard drive replaced.

Next time I opened InDesign it requested that I re-activate the licence.

The activation failed.

I have spent hours on the Adobe helpline and been told they cannot support CS2 on Win7.

They did advise that I might try uninstalling and reinstalling the software.

When I go to the programme list for install/uninstall I can't find it listed anywhere (not under Adobe, Creative Suite or InDesign - any other ideas?)

But when I use the CD to try and install the programme it says that InDesign is already loaded and it aborts the installation.

I tried the Adobe Clean tool but that too only goes back to CS3 not CS2.

It does have the option to clean "all" but I have quite a lot of other (newer) Adobe programmes loaded and only want to try this if anyone can tell me with confidence that it will deal with CS2 as it will mean that I have to re-load all my other programmes (CS3 Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Dreamweaver etc, Audition, Captivate ...)

The other possibility the helpline raised was a third party (Microsoft?) removal tool that might do the trick. Any suggestions?

(My if-all-else-fails option is to use InDesign on the XP virtual machine but it is a programme I use little and often every day so really need a proper resolution if at all possible).

Thanks in anticipation.

Sarah

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 3, 2012 3:53 AM   in reply to Sascal

Who did you call about the activation failure? There is a separate number for activation problems, and it should be listed in the failure dialog. My guess would be that you just need a reset.

I don't know if the current removal tool will remove CS2 (I don't think so), and the old tool required a microsoft script that is no longer available and probably doesn't work on Windows 7 (haven't checked), but I doubt that will help anyway. Activation is done through a remote server at Adobe, so as long as that server thinks you've used your quota uninstalling and reinstalling won't matter. You should be able to uninstall using the installation disk, but again, I don't see it helping.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to Sascal

I don't know if Win7 has a compatibility feature, but if it does and you haven't tried it, it's worth a shot.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices    

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to Sascal

Did they offer to give you a new activation code?

I'd still advise against removing the program at least for now. It isn't officially supported (It predates Windows 7 by quite a bit), and not everyone is as successful as you wer in getting it installed. I was not successful at all, for example.

I've pinged someone in customer care to see if they can help.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to Sascal

Right click on the indesign.exe file in Explorer and choose Properties, then click the Compatibility tab in the properties dialog. You can probably choose to run in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode, maybe even SP2 or Windows 2000. No promises that it will help, though.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 9:22 AM   in reply to Sascal

My $0.02 which you're not going to like:

Move on. You're wasting your time with CS2 on Win7 especially if it's a 64 bit version. It was never tested and it's not supported.

Either find an old machine running XP or move to Creative Cloud.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 10:44 AM   in reply to Sascal

Sadly, that is all irrelevant.

I’m giving you the facts. CS2 simply doesn’t work reliably under Windows 7.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 4:37 AM   in reply to Sascal

That's as good an explanation as any, I'm afraid.

Do you have to use InDesign for your projects? If not, why not try Scribus? It's free and open source and it works quite nicely on Windows 7. Details here: http://www.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 10:35 AM   in reply to Sascal

Speaks a man who's not had to be responsible for a charity IT team budgeting with a pile of beans and training staff team of varied and generally limited IT skills ... ?

I have done exactly that. Well, I guess that "charity" and "nonprofit" aren't an exact match. Unfortunatey, Bob is right.

My experience of running CS2 on Win7 is actually pretty close to yours. I installed CS2 on my own Win7 machine in XP Mode, and on another machine directly onto Win7. The Win7 install of CS2 chugged along merrily for six months before it crashed irreparably. The XP Mode install is, ah, quirky, but it's still running. It is also unsupported, but I haven't yet been forced to hose my XP Mode install and start fresh. But I am sure that it will happen eventually.

Even if XP mode doesn't do the trick for you, I would suggest that you look into virtualizing your legacy applications. It'll make your life easier, and there are a few useable options that cost precisely zero beans.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to Sascal

To get a downgrade key you mudt purchase through volume licensing, which may mean you can't get the ugrade price, and you should check to be sure yu can get exactly what you want before making the purchase.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to Sascal

I use CS3 on Win7 almost every day and have for years; no problems there.

your suggestion to "virtualise your legacy applications" - what does that mean?

OS virtualization lets you run one operating system as a program inside another operating system, more or less. I have a whole bunch of old applications that won't work on Windows 7, only Windows 2000 or XP, so I run Windows XP as a program within Windows 7 - a "virtual machine." It acts like it is installed on its own computer - it creates a fake hard drive, and eats a pretty large chunk of my RAM, but it means I can run my ancient shareware conversion tools that only work on dead operating systems.

So, if you need to use CS2 forever, then it might be useful for you to cook up a WinXP virtual machine. The link in my previous post points to the XP Mode download from Microsoft, where they let you download Microsoft VirtualPC, along with a Windows XP image. I actually don't use XP Mode, really, but I thought that a long discussion of how to set up Windows XP in VMWare so that I can use it safely (by giving it no network access whatsoever) was out of place in a discussion about Adobe products.  

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

I don't think the XP-mode from Microsoft is particularly good, though I just checked and I see that contrary to my memory I actually did get CS2 to install in the virtual machine, so there you go.

It's definitely a pain in the neck to work that way (if you have internet, you'll need to install the anti-virus and all that stuff in the virual machine, too), and my memory is that Microsoft virtual machine will only install in Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate, not the home versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 2:35 PM   in reply to Sascal

CS3 is indeed compatible with Win 7.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status