Skip navigation
BigFinbar
Currently Being Moderated

How to have more than one adjustment layer.

Dec 3, 2012 4:46 AM

Hi

I'm trying to blur out two faces and have done the first one easy enough by adding an adjustment layer then blurring and animating it, key framing etc. Now I want to add the second blur but simply adding another adjustment layer and proceeding in the same manner does not work as it affects the 1st adjustment layer. So my question is how do I have two adjustment layers, each one independant from each other and only affecting the original footage?

Thanks very much.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 3, 2012 6:24 AM   in reply to BigFinbar

I don't know of a way to do what you are asking, but I can tell you that there are easier ways to blur faces. I am away from my editing PC right now, so I can only give you the general idea. You could use track mattes, or use garbage mattes. Of the two, I think that garbage mattes might be the easier, depending on the content of the video.

Try this little experiment and see if it helps.:

Put your original clip on track one and a second clip on track two and a third on track three. Blur the clips on track two and three. You will need to temporarily poke out the eyeball on track three to see what you are doing on track two. Apply the 8 point garbage matte to the clip on track two and animate it to cover the face of the first person.Enable track three again (put the eyeball back) and apply the 8 point garbage natter to track three. Then cover the second face.

If you prefer track mattes, just make a white oval in the titler and use it as a track matte for the first face. Then make a new title based on the first and use it for the second face. That means you have to put the video on tracks 1, 2 and 4 with the mattes on 3 and 5.

I can't picture how you are using an adjustment layer so I can't help with that. But give the mattes a try. If you can't get 8 points to make a decent enough matte, use the 16 point garbage matte instead.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 9:01 AM   in reply to BigFinbar

how do I have two adjustment layers, each one independant from each other and only affecting the original footage?

Make sure the layers do not overlap.  Any layer will affect everything underneath it, that's just the way they work.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 6:18 AM   in reply to BigFinbar

That is why it is always nice to have more than one way to do things. When the image distorts a garbage matte can be handy, but if an oval is good, you can just change the scale to deal with changes.

I am glad it is working out for you, and thanks for reporting back. It helps to have feedback so that we can improve the way we answer questions.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points