Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to delete self defined "Swatches"?

Dec 3, 2012 8:06 AM

I work with Adobe Design Std CS5 Illustrator (German version), newly installed - not migrated from an older model! - on iMac27, i7, SSD and OS X 10.8:

German:  Ich habe viele eigene Farbpaletten (Farbfelder) unter "Benutzerdefiniert" gespeichert. Ich kann diese von dort auch laden, kann aber die überzähligen "Paletten" nicht löschen, da ich den Order "Benutzerdefiniert" oder die entsprechenden Dateien unter "Adobe Illustrator/Vorgaben/de_DE/Farbfelder (oder Swatches)/..." (Angaben gemäss Hilfe) nicht finden kann. Ich sehe nur die von Illustrator vorgegebenen Paletten. Liegt nun Illustrator Hilfe falsch oder liegt das Problem bei Apple OS X 10.8?

English: I have created my own "Swatches" (Farbfelder) and saved (too) many of them.

Now I want to delete the majority, but I cannot find the directory "Benutzerdefiniert" or "User created?" on the path as hinted by the Illustrator Help (German version: Adobe Illustrator/Vorgaben/de_DE/Farbfelder). I only find the various Color Collections stored during Illustrator installation.

Are Illustrator procedures to blame - or again Apple OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) intricacies?

Apple started to confuse even long term users with Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6). Every new version offered many surprises or caveats and endless calls to Apple...

Shall I reinstall Illustrator and create the user defined "Swatches" again from the relevant Illustrator files? A sledge hammer method...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2012 3:25 PM   in reply to Woodley43

If I understand what you want to do, select the swatch by clicking it and click the "trash" icon at the bottom of the swatch panel. Select multiple swatch by Shift clicking and click "Trash" or drag them to the trash icon. I am not aware of a way to differentiate "default" vs. "user-defined" swatches.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 6:12 AM   in reply to Woodley43

If I understand you correctly what you want to do is open the Swatch Libraries (Farbfeldbibliotheken) in Illustrator, they are nothing more than an Illustrator file so when you open them they will be blank documents but what you want to d is open the Swatches panel in that document and you will see the swatches for that library. Then you select the swaches taht are obsolete in that Library and resave the file and close it out.

Now when you load those Swatch Libraries will no longer contain the obsolete swatches.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 6:27 AM   in reply to Woodley43

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to Woodley43

They are not invisible they are in a different folder.

Users/Username/Library (the  one you just found by holding the option/alt key when going to the Go Menu)/Aplication Support/Adobe Illustrator CS#/US Eng/Swatches

now you should see them here are my own notice tht the defaukt swatches are not present.

Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 11.36.02 AM.png

And i just deleted them all as well.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points