Skip navigation
iuyuighjghjghj
Currently Being Moderated

F4v & flv show as generic icons and are not scaled

Dec 3, 2012 9:48 AM

Hi!

I'm using Bridge CS4 for some years and since the reinstall of my operating system (Vista Business 32bits) and of CS4, all the f4v and flv files are showing as generic file icons. That means that I do not get the video thumbnail for f4v or flv files in the Content panel. This was working before my reinstall.

Also, the f4v or flv videos show only the top left corner in the preview panel. This has something to do with scaling: Bridge shows the preview of a 640x480 f4v or flv video normally but the 1920x1080 videos are not scaled.

I also use MOV files and for these, I get a scaled preview and a thumbnail in the Content panel.

Any clue how I can get back the video thumbnails for f4v and flv files as well as the scaling?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 3, 2012 7:28 PM   in reply to iuyuighjghjghj

Did you have some CODEC installed that was not reinstalled with the OS?

Does CS4 have those files in preferences/file type associations?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 6:53 AM   in reply to iuyuighjghjghj

Download the free program G Spot.  It will tell you what CODEC is needed and if it is on your machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to iuyuighjghjghj

There are few, if any experts in CODEC.  A pet peeve of mine with the video industry as seems like everyone has a different idea on what CODEC to use/develop.  So I am just as confused about it as you, and not sure anyone here will have the answers.

You need to do a little detective work.  Run G Spot on the other computer as well with same files.  If one runs the files OK and the other one does not you need to figure out what is different and missing.

CODEC's are needsely confusing as there are no standards, so anything goes.  If you get bogged down might try the video experts on the Permier forum.

Let us know how it works out.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 4:33 PM   in reply to iuyuighjghjghj

Sorry, but I must rant.

Shocked this is still unanswered. Same issue here. YES the codec is installed. If the codec was installed I wouldn't be able to view the FLV, stupid! The codec of the FLV files is H.264. installed along with quicktime. The flvs open and play with ease in QUICKTIME. Furthermore the FLVs in question were created on the same machine here that is refusing to show thumbnails for the FLVs within bridge. Need I say again: This is not a codec issue.

It makes absolutely ZERO sense that an ADOBE FLV file can not be indexed for a thumbnail within ADOBE BRIDGE. 

please, adobe - post a solution to this issue. It's absolutely infuriating.

I repeat:

THIS IS NOT A CODEC ISSUE.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 4:24 PM   in reply to Curt Y

"There are few, if any experts in CODEC."

Curt, that statement is pure fiction. There are plenty of experts with CODECs, individuals who have been learning the ins and outs of compression/decompression for several decades.

absolute fiction. smokescreen.

"CODEC's are needsely confusing as there are no standards, so anything goes"

This again is pure fiction. there absolutely ARE standards which in fact define and differentiate codecs and how they are wrapped, say within Quicktime to allow the files to be read/written to say within an NLE like Autodesk Smoke or Adobe Premier, or Avid Media Composer. . You might not understand them but by bringing your confusion to this discussion you serve to only smoke-screen the issue which helps no-one. Please stay out of the discussion if you know not what you're talking about. There is a legitimate issue which Adobe has yet to provide a solution for. Some of us would like the issue RESOLVED.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 5:25 PM   in reply to studioGwentz

studioGwentz,

I am a user not an Adobe employee, and I would love for you to offer the solution.  Since you probably know as much or more than I do about video,  beyond the rant where are the constructive suggestions on how to solve the problem?  It is unlikely Adobe will enter into this discussion.   For them to fix a problem they first have to get involved and recreate it on their computers.

As I stated above I am not an expert in codec issues, but I stand by my statement that codecs are confusing with a bewildering array that few users understand.  There are codecs and containers (Quicktime, AVI, AVCHD, etc.) and a container can have a number of different codecs.  If you have ever used G Spot you will see what I mean.  I stated codecs are  confusing as "the experts" have dozens of codecs to use and I have seen posts of advanced video users state the same.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_codecs

You state:  "Please stay out of the discussion if you know not what you're talking about. There is a legitimate issue which Adobe has yet to provide a solution for. Some of us would like the issue RESOLVED."

Please studioGwentz resolve this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to Curt Y

"please studioGwentz resolve the issue."

Ok Curt, you seem to have suffered amnesia from the same forum you replied to yesterday.

please see

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4899350

The issue is unsolvable. Adobe is aware. Bridge does NOT generate thumbnails for FLV files PERIOD.

I spent half my work day on hold with their tech support (after they called me back from the 2 hour wait list) as well as a lengthy chat session w/ tech support - All consultation lead to this conclusion.

I highly suggest anyone who stumbles upon this thread looking for a solution to file a bug report with adobe.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

This is the url adobe gave me, Curt mentioned another in the other forum I have linked above however I don't see the links to report a bug that he mentions. Maybe Curt can follow up and clarify and provide details on that.

Curt I didn't mean anything personal against you - but realize please - it's highly aggrivating when someone jumps all over a problem with suggestions and quotes from web sites with very little expertice on the topic theirselves. I know codecs, and I know a codec issue or a file header issue when I see it. This is a bug (or call it an unincluded feature?) and perhaps if you would have opened up bridge and media encoder before you felt you had wizdom to share you probably would have seen it for yourself.

Your suggestions led at least one user above to go re-installing half his system to try to resolve an unresolvable issue. Are you getting it? Please keep your mouth closed if you don't know the answer to something. Pretending only hurts the users who have work to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to iuyuighjghjghj

iuyuighjghjghj,

Downloaded a sample flv file from http://www.mediacollege.com/adobe/flash/video/tutorial/example-flv.htm l and put on Bridge CS5 and 6.  This

is what I get.  Really hard to find a sample flv so with only one sample not sure if this is the generic flv icon or not.

flv icon.JPG

The preview panel shows the entire image and plays the flv just fine.  If I double click I have default set to VLC player and works there also.

g spot flv.JPG

Win7 ATI GPU.

As far as answers it appears studioGwentz does not like my interference in this issue, and has all the knowledge and passion to get this question marked RESOLVED.  Stay tuned.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 2:42 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Bridge does not generate thumbnails for FLV files.

READ:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4899350

File a bug report to adobe.

Curt, like I've said several times I appreciate your passion and attempt to get to the bottom of it.

by all means continue chasing this if you feel inclined.

In the meantime I've filed a bug report w/ adobe, converted all my FLVs to mp4s and have moved on from the issue because it flat out doesn't work.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 7:55 AM   in reply to iuyuighjghjghj

A lot of problems with preveiws relate to to the video driver.  Figure out the make and model of your GPU and go to the manufacturors website and see if there is an undate.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 8:05 AM   in reply to iuyuighjghjghj

It is great you are getting thumbnails for flv files.  This really proves Adobe Help and studioGwentz don't have a clue. 

Do you think it was a CODEC after all?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to iuyuighjghjghj

It's great that you were able to get thumbs for FLVs. Terrible the hoops required to jump through to get there from here. I clearly didn't have time to waste dinking with extra crap like installing random packages to troubleshoot something that should work.

Can we agree on one thing?

This should work out of the box. Adobe Bridge CS6 should display thumbnails for Adobe FLV files - (especially those made from media encoder CS6 on the same machine w/ same codecs installed) with no extra dinking around necessary.

Curt, clearly you took my early comments incredibly personally, I apologize. Solving a problem is not a competition. When you have real work to do, getting to a real answer is preferable to installing extra crap on your system to get something working which should work out of the box.

cheers and good work, guys. hopefully Adobe will rectify this for pc AND mac users.. the reality is they wont if nobody complains about it. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 3:16 PM   in reply to iuyuighjghjghj

Also, make sure Quicktime is the latest as it is the video engine for Bridge.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2012 9:35 AM   in reply to iuyuighjghjghj

Are the shots you showed full screen?  If so is it possible you have the zoom set to max?  When in full screen mode press the - key to scale down.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to iuyuighjghjghj

iuyuighjghjghj wrote:

I don't really think it's a codec problem otherwise I shouldn't be able to export to flash.

I installed first quicktime, k-lite, etc. and then CS4. It still works for the thumbnails (thanks to k-lite) but the scaling problem is still there. So it still looks like in post 14 (last picture).

K-lite is a CODEC package, so it installed some that Bridge does not have.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to iuyuighjghjghj

Do you have a buddy that has Bridge that you could take a copy of a file that exhibits scaled down size and try it on their machine?  This would narrow it down to being Bridge or the video card. 

Also, you are using CS4.  Do not know if you want to upgrade but if so you only have a few days left to get upgrade prices.  After Dec 31 you will have to pay full price ($200 vs $700). 

Be aware that CS6 will work on 32 bit machine, but to get the most use it needs 64 bit, 8 gig of ram, and a good video card ($40-100).  Although Bridge CS6 is now 64 bit it still has some problems with cache speed.

You could download a free 30 day trial and see it your flv files work in it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 6:42 AM   in reply to iuyuighjghjghj

Just jumping in to add my name to the people frustrated that Bridge has never supported generating thumbnail images for .flv files. It would appear from this thread that no one has come up with a viable solution either.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points