Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

FM11 crashes when creating a link to an Excel table

Dec 3, 2012 12:12 PM

Tags: #crash #link #excel #framemake_11

I am using FM11 and creating links to tables in Excel and FM crashes a few seconds after I created the link.

I have been doing this with FM7 FM8 FM9 and FM10 no problems but with FM11 that I recently installed it crashes. I sent a report to fmerror@adobe.com but it did not help.

I am using Windows 7 and Office 2010.

To create the link I select a group of  cells in an Excel sheet. Then in FM I go <Edition><Paste special><Paste with link>Object Microsoft Excel<Ok>  and then FM crashes.

I have version 11.0.1.382 installed.

Has anybody succeded in creating such link.

Any help would be appreciated.

P

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to plaporte

I just tried this with the same version of FM and Excel (2010; 32-bit) and it seems to be working fine for me. I can update the spreadsheet and the updated contents are properly reflected in the imported linked images in FM - no crashes witth multiple open/close cycles and edits.

I've tried both the Paste > Linked Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object and the Paste Link > Linked Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object from 2010 .xlsx files and older .xls files with identical results.

Which point version of Excel are you using (I'm at 14.0.6132.5001)? Have you installed all of your MS Office patches?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 6, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to plaporte

It sounds like there may possibly be something else in your installation that is interfering with the OLE linking in FM - perhaps overly aggressive anti-virus software? Also, have you placed the Excel workbook(s) in a "trusted" location and/or enabled data connections using the Trust Center in Excel?

User responses have shown that FM's OLE handling has always been somewhat flakey, so you might want to consider a two-step approach if you need to import specific regions of various spreadsheets. First, in Excel create a linked workbook/file to the region in the specific spreadsheet, then save the file with an appropriate name (e.g. subset_of_workbookA.xlsx). Finally, in FM, import by reference the linked subset Excel file. A bit of an obtuse way to do this, but this might bypass any OLE gremlins with FM.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points