Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Some png + gif files do not preview

Dec 3, 2012 1:29 PM

I've had this issue for a while in CS6. Certain PNG and gif files do not preview and bring up a "Program Error" dialog when a folder is first viewed (when thumbs are generated). A generic thumbnail is then made. These are not old files. I've reset Bridge/dumped the cache but no luck. Any thoughts?

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 3, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to jnwbr

I've reset Bridge/dumped the cache but no luck. Any thoughts?

Bridge should be capable of viewing PNG and Gif without problems, can you share some more details?

What computer (and RAM, graphic card), OS and version are you using, what exact Bridge and PS Version do you have installed and are the files on your start up disk and do they open without problems in other applications?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 3, 2012 3:09 PM   in reply to jnwbr

just don't generate thumbnails in Bridge

What steps did you use to reset and dump cache?

And do you run system maintenance on a regular base? did you try to run Check and repair permissions' with Apple Disk Utility?

Bridge can be very critical about permissions.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 3, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to jnwbr

I run Cocktail every morning.

Then we can rule out the permissions to be an item

The normal route for clearing preferences would be:

Hold down option key while restarting Bridge and choose rest prefs (I assume you did that already regarding clearing cache also in prefs?)

Manual deleting the Bridge CS6 cache file from the user library caches folder (also done that regarding your answer)

Maybe some other options, in the menu view choose show hidden files and see if there is a BridgeCache or a BridgeCacheT file showing. If so could you trash these files and try again.

Also copy the files to a new folder (Try both internal and start up disk)

And finally you could choose to trash also the Bridge plst file from the user library preferences folder (followed by restart holding down option etc for prefs.)

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 3, 2012 4:11 PM   in reply to jnwbr

Can you try renaming one of the problem files with a simple name?  Perhaps there is something in the name it does not like.  Also, make sure it is not labled xzy.png.png.  A somehwhat common error.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points