Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Impossible to reposition Story Editor window

Dec 3, 2012 1:41 PM

I guess nobody's experiencing this? When I open the Story Editor, it's

impossible to reposition it. I can drag the window, but as soon as I let

go of the mouse button, the story editor window snaps right back to the

left edge of the screen (and a bit further left than where it began).

Strange. Didn't happen in CS4, that's for sure!

This is on Windows 7 Ult., 64-bit, InDesign CS6 MENA (English UI with

Hebrew support).

Ariel

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 3, 2012 1:53 PM   in reply to [Ariel]

Have you tried restarting ID or trashing the prefs?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 8:07 AM   in reply to [Ariel]

You might back up your Print Presets and PDF Presets.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 8:39 AM   in reply to Tom Usrey

PDF presets should survive, I think (at least ones that are accessible to everyone), but you definitely lose the print presets and document presets. All of those things can be backed up from the respective Define dialog.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to [Ariel]

Probably. I don't use a lot of those, so never really noticed. If you save the InDesign Defaults and InDesign SavedData files you can restore them if trashing the prefs doesn't solve the problem (or even if it does and you decide it's less annoying than having to rebuild the import presets).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 7:23 AM   in reply to [Ariel]

YES!  This happens to any user who has their windows task bar at the top of the screen (where I think it should be).  The same glitch existed in Photoshop CS6, but Adobe fixed that with an update.  Seems they forgot to fix InDesign at the same time.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to [Ariel]

I was not aware it happened with the right and left positions as well, but you're right.

I too have submitted a detailed bug report... but don't think it was ever even acknowledged.  I hope they fix this because it currently makes using ID CS6 almost impossible.  I'm just glad I still have CS4 installed so I don't have to move my entire windows workspace around to accomodate 1 program.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to Stubborn Puppet

Just giving this a bump because IT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to [Ariel]

Totally bizarre, and def. not related to the ME edition. I can reproduce it in plain-vanilla English ID. Thanks Stubborn Puppet for pointing out the necessary condition of moving the taskbar away from the default location at the bottom of the screen.

If I have the taskbar at the top of the screen, I can reproduce this obvious bug - but not if it's at at the bottom of the screen. Furthermore, when the taskbar is at the top of the screen I can move the Story Editor around with the Windows key + arrow key combos to snap it to the side of the screen, or to one of my secondary monitors. When the taskbar is at the bottom of the screen, the Windows key + arrow key combos move the InDesign window, not the Story Editor. That inclines me to believe that this is yet another InDesign-versus-Aero problem. Makes sense, no?

Just giving this a bump because IT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED!

Perfect username/post matchup. I will go file a bug report as well. Adobe won't acknowledge your bug report, unless you open a case under a support contract. Still, if there are enough reports it may make it into an update.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Son of a gun. I don't think it's Aero related. I'm using a modified Classic theme, and it happens to me, too, when I have the taskbar at the top.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to Stubborn Puppet

Another bump... it was fixed in Photoshop CS6, they could just as easily fix it in ID CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to Stubborn Puppet

Are you a software engineer? The fact that it was fixed in PS is not an indication of how easy or how high a priority it is for InDesign.

As already pointed out, file a bug report. In the meantime the easy fix is to put the taskbar back at the bottom.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

BTW, this isn't the only Win 7 / Win 8 related problem. InDesign will not remember the screen location when it's closed and reopened.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2012 6:47 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I am not a software engineer, but I work along side with 3 software engineers... they all see it as an easy fix.

How high of a priority is it?  Seriously?  It's a sloppy coding error of the likes that should never make it into a public release.  Just because more people use PS is no excuse for ID to be a second rate product.

As for your comment that I should rearange my entire workspace/workflow, just to accomodate a bug in software, and put my taskbar "back at the bottom" (which implies that is where it belongs and that I moved it to the top just for the sake of causing an issue),let's apply the same logic to another everyday item...

If you bought a DVD player and, once you got it home and started using it, discovered by trial and error that it wouldn't play movies unless you stood it on it's side - but your entertaiment center is built to have things placed horizontally, would you just pull it out and stand it on it's side every time you wanted to watch a movie?  Or would you return it and get a DVD player that works the way it ought to, where you want to use it?

Oh, but I don't even have that luxury with ID.  There are no refunds or exchanges on software!  Software that cost me significantly more than a DVD player. My only recourse is to complain about it and hope enough other people do as well, just so that a bug they should have caught in the first place get's corrected.

Your below comment is just another example of a type of problem that should never make it into public release of a product.  I've seen programs written by high school students overnight as a homework assignment that manage to open in the same position they were closed and can be moved around the screen flawlessly.  Illustrator CS4 had the same issue with being unable to remember screen position, it's just sad.

Sorry for the excess hostility Bob, I just don't have the tolerance for deficiency that you do - especially when spending my money is concerned.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2012 7:40 AM   in reply to Stubborn Puppet

I know it's annoying. Like I said, I can't get ID to remember the

location of the window for life of me and I know other users are

experiencing the same thing. At this point all I'm trying to control

your expectations.

Very few Windows users have the taskbar at the top and of those only

tiny number are using InDesign. And an even smaller number even know the

story editor exists. It's probably the most overlooked feature in the

application.

And BTW, you are incorrect about refund policy. Adobe offers a no

questions asked 30 day money back policy.

I wish I had something more encouraging to tell you but under the

circumstances I just don't.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2012 8:17 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Fair enough.

However, I'm not personally talking about the Story Editor.  It is the document window that is my biggest complaint and I think that's what the original poster was talking about too.  I use two monitors, one of which is placed vertically so I can more easily see an entire 8.5 X 11 document without scrolling all the time.  I'd like to be able to move that window over to the second monitor but I can't move it at all, unless I want the document window to keep jumping further up and left until it's off the screen.

I did know about Adobe's return policy, but it didn't apply because I am under contract to purchase through a third party supplier.  Besides that, I still want and need the other applications included (bought the Master Collection)... I doubt they would give me a refund on just one part of the package... oh well.

I also forgot to mention that I did submit a bug report (more than once actually).  I even called support and let their reps know about the issue.

Thanks for the sympathy.  I know I have high expectations...  I just wish Adobe shared them.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to Stubborn Puppet

Try this as a potential workaround for the story editor:

Launch the story editor as usual. Then drag it to the tabbed panels to dock it. Select two up for the view.

Capture.PNG

This will give you a side by side view. Again, I know it's a workaround but it may be enough for you work a bit more comfortably.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points