Skip navigation
tonysoprano8
Currently Being Moderated

liquify filter problem

Dec 3, 2012 2:14 PM

When I use the liquify filter (PUCKER), the entire photo moves. How do I get just the part I want to change to move and not the entire photo?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 3, 2012 2:17 PM   in reply to tonysoprano8

There's a tool in Liquify which will freeze regions of the image to stop them being moved.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 3, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to tonysoprano8

Just make the brush smaller.  Pucker doesn't normally cause the whole image to move if the brush is smaller than the whole image.

Can you put up a before/after screen grab showing exactly what you're seeing?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 10:55 PM   in reply to tonysoprano8

I have this exact same problem - but when I hold contl/alt/shift and dbl-click Photoshop, only the properties come up.  Is there some other way to erase settings?  The image posted by tonysoprano8 represents what I see in liquefy now - but my previous versions of PS didn't have this issue (and - as stated earlier - it doesn't matter the brush size, the whole image is reshaping - instead of just the portion I want to edit).

Coach B.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 24, 2013 9:44 AM   in reply to coach

Press and hold the keys immediately after cold-starting Photoshop.  You have to be quick, but it's possible even on today's fastest machines.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 9:42 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hey Noel - I was able to hold the 3-key combo down in time - then chose "yes" to erase settings - but nothing changes.  I still can't see a brush, in the liquefy.  I uninstalled - and then reinstalled (both 64 bit and 32).  Same error with both versions - no liquefy brush, and when I try to make an adjustment to one region of a photo - the whole photo is impacted.  Wide open to any new ideas/suggestions -- this is quite confusing.  I was so comfortable w/liquefy in my previous versions - is this something unique to CS6?

Coach B.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 24, 2013 11:41 PM   in reply to coach

No, it's something unique to your system - it works just as you expect for most folks.  The thing that's special is that Adobe added GPU acceleration this time around.

There's a key you can hold down when starting Liquify that forces it to use the CPU instead of GPU acceleration - maybe the Alt key?  I can't remember for sure but a search may turn it up.  If forcing it to run in the CPU instead of GPU fixes it, you may need a display driver update.  What video card do you have?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 5:52 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Thanks Noel - I'll have to try that, when I get home this evening.  I've got dual Nvidia GeForece 660 graphics cards, which were brand new - as of  Jan 2013.

I'll report back in this evening.

Cheers,

Coach B.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 10:04 PM   in reply to tonysoprano8

Noel - Diane, problem resolved!  Took Noel's advice, regarding holding down a single key.  Had to try several, but holding down the "shift" key, while cold-starting PS produced the dialogue box "Skip loading 3rd party plugins?" to which I answered "yes".  Even then - I didn't see a brush (just the crosshare) until I manually entered a brush size in the "brush size" box.  Once I did that (not using the slider) the brush circumference was visible - and I could change it, at will.  All facets of the liquify tool are working as designed.

Still not sure why I have to launch PS this way - especially with twin Nvidia Graphics Cards - but it's a simple thing to do, if it'll allow me to take full advantage of my new PC and my new PS CS6.  I'm hoping, that as I dive deeper into PS that all the other functions work as designed.

Appreciate all your assistance!

Coach B.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 8:01 AM   in reply to coach

Great Post! Thanks for sharing had the same problem after I installed a 3rd party plugin (Extensis Font Manager)

Giles

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points