Skip navigation
mal.ficus
Currently Being Moderated

(CS5.1) Free Transform and Warp tool causing pixelation and quality drop.

Dec 3, 2012 4:27 PM

Tags: #warp #cs5.1 #free_transform

When I free transform and warp a layer to lie flat, sometimes I'll get this harsh pixellation at one end of the layer. It doesn't appear while I'm doing the warp, just suddenly coming up when I hit enter to apply the transformation.

So for example, Ill be transforming this grid, which is originally about 9x this big.

12x12 grid - white.jpg

So when I''m running the transformation/warp, it looks like this

example 1.jpg

Not great, but at least most of the lines are still intact on the left and back (the right side is basically fine looking)

But once I hit enter, I get this

example 2.jpg

And now like, half the lines I did have are gone, and what's left is super pixelated.

Is there an interpolation setting I could be using? Is it something unavoidable from how distorted I make the layer?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 3, 2012 4:31 PM   in reply to mal.ficus

The interpolation will be the method set near top of Preferences > General. (CS6 transforms of pixel layers have a separate interpolation control).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 5:06 PM   in reply to mal.ficus

mal.ficus wrote:

...Ill be transforming this grid, which is originally about 9x this big.

Please, show us a screen shot at 100% zoom.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 8:42 PM   in reply to mal.ficus

can you make a vector grid?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 9:07 PM   in reply to mal.ficus

No I misunderstood, thought you were working with simple line drawings better suited to vector art. Sorry for the diversion.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 11:19 PM   in reply to mal.ficus

It is a general AA problem with mapping texture on surfaces in acute angles. In 3D programs this is solved by a technique called mipmaping, The 3D renderer calculates the degree of distortions and applies blurring filter where it is needed based on the depth of the 3D space to solve this problem. Unfortunately Photoshop is not a 3D renderer and can't eliminate this. You can try manually to reduce it yourself by applying the same transformation on several differently blurred copies of the layer and then using masks made with manual brushing over the problem areas to reduce the artifact.

Here's an example image of a 3D program solving the problem.

http://www.povplace.com/gallery/Experiments/mipmapping.jpg

and a quick attempt I made to illustrate the problem using your grid after making it more dense with several multiplied layers. the bottom part is the grid masked with different degree of blurring at the problem areas. As you can see this is not an easy task and the problem may be considered as impossible to be fixed nicely. On top of that  as you can see this approach may require constructing grid patterns on layers so that you can blur the eventual horizontal or vertical directions separately.

Click the image to see it larger without the additional distortion of forum scaling

Untitled-1.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points