Skip navigation
Lockhart7
Currently Being Moderated

"Photoshop Elements 8 Has Unexpectedly Quit"

Dec 3, 2012 4:31 PM

Tags: #error #photoshop_elements #photoshop_elements_8 #unexpectedly_quit

I've recently come across this error message upon opening Photoshop: "Adobe has detected that the application adobe photoshop elements has unexpectedly quit".

I've had Photoshop Elements 8 for three years and this has only started happening this month.   I purchased an HP laptop with the program factory installed, which means I don't have the installation disc for re-installation.  I've browsed this forum for solutions to this problem and can't find anything that works.

Any suggestions on how to fix the error?   OR  at least on how to reinstall my Photoshop Elements 8.0?

Thanks in advance ~

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 3, 2012 11:01 PM   in reply to Lockhart7

Have you installed a third party driver recently?

The issue happens when you launch Editor? right?

What if you launch Editor directly from its exe with Admin rights?

Also try launching Editor from within Organizer once. Does it launch?

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 1:30 AM   in reply to andaleebfatima1

Hi,

Please try couple of probable solutions as mentioned below:

Solution 1:

1. Close Elements.

2. Launch the Photoshop Elements Welcome Screen and hold down ctrl + alt + shift as you click Editor.

3. Continue to hold the keys until you see a message box asking if you want to delete Photoshop Elements settings file; click Yes. Elements will open with default preferences.

Solution 2: In case any network printer is attached try to launch without network or printer uninstall or make different printer as default.

Solution 3: Try launching with anti-virus off or removing PSE from conflicting list.

Thanks,

Garry

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 1:34 AM   in reply to Lockhart7

Can you please try this:

Navigate to location C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 8.0\Locales\en_US\Plug-Ins\Import-Export

Remove Twain plugin from here and copy it somewhere on your desktop or folder and then try launching Editor.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 5:11 AM   in reply to ukgaurav

I have been having the same problem as Lockhart7 for the past week and I just tried removing the Twain plug-in to no avail.... still crashes when trying to use Editor

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 10:26 PM   in reply to Lockhart7

After removing the Twain plug-in try this

1. Close Elements.

2. Launch the Photoshop Elements Welcome Screen and hold down ctrl + alt + shift as you click Editor.

3. Continue to hold the keys until you see a message box asking if you want to delete Photoshop Elements settings file; click Yes. Elements will open with default preferences.

Also do let me know now what finally is not running for both of you. Is it Editor or Organizer or Both. I am assuming that it is Editor.

Thanks,

Garry

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 4:20 AM   in reply to ukgaurav

Did that - still didn't work.  And yes, it is just the editor - Organizer works fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to Lockhart7

I contacted Adobe through the 'Chat' option today and entered my problem, only to have it basically say 'screw you' when I checked that I was using Elements 8.  It told me to check the forums for answers or to use the suggested links on the site - like I hadn't already tried that.  I guess unless you're willing to fork over the money to upgrade every year to upgrade to the newest version, they have no interest in supporting their product?!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 5:18 PM   in reply to Lockhart7

I do have my disk, and thought about doing a re-install, but when I went to delete it from my computer, the wording sounded as if I could only re-install on another computer and not on my current one.  So, if you find out differently, I'd love to know.  I use Elements every day for digital scrapbooking and the only way I've been able to continue at this point is to download the trial Elements 11.0 - which will run out in a couple weeks!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 9:43 PM   in reply to AWard76

Did a google search and found this result. <http://www.mydigitallife.info/adobe-photoshop-and-premiere-elements-8- direct-download-links/>

Haven't tried myself but perhaps the trial for PSE8 is still available on some sites.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 8:38 PM   in reply to andaleebfatima1

Do you guys use any third party plugin with PSE Editor on your machines? In case yes then disabling it and trying to launch Editor might help.

Also regarding disk if you have serial number with you then you can install as many times as you wish on the same machine. If you are uninstalling on one and/or installing on other machine then make sure you deactivate from the old one via (Help->Deactivate) and enter serial number in your new installation.

You can even upgrade to PSE11 from PSE8 at a price which is lower then buying a new one.

Will wait for your comments.

Thanks,

Garry

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 10:40 PM   in reply to Lockhart7

Thanks for the update.

Glad you finaly got it rocking!!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This