Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bald from tearing hair out: Printing Management Question

Dec 3, 2012 6:39 PM

I have two printers: a very cheap Kodak All in One that I bought for photographs and a Canon i9900 that was not so cheap but is old-ish. I almost never print anything out. I have recently vowed to start printing stuff out. I bought new inks for the Kodak and missing inks for the Canon. Disaster. After using every maintenance tool and tip available for the Kodak it advised me that I needed a new print head. (It also advised me that it had printed a grand total of 120 pages since I bought it. I have chosen not to ship it for repair but will ship it to the curb for the next person lured by the claim of "save on ink". Will tape note on top stating that brand new inks are in there, if whoever can make it go can make it go, may the force be with them). I am more hesitant to be so cavalier with my Canon. I have also done all maintenance available such as deep cleaning etcetera. My problem is that my prints are horrible. Either off colour or miscoloured. I am unsure whether I should be letting PS or the printer manage the colour. Neither seems to work. I am thinking of deleting my preferences? But again, unsure because it doesn't print well from iPhoto, either so that seems to be a printer rather than a software thing?

Basic question: In your opinion (you being whoever is kind enough to try to help) should I just buy a new printer and start all over or should I struggle on? And if I should struggle, do you suggest deleting preferences?

I am running Mac Mountain Lion on an iMac--I don't think the specs have anything to do with the printing per se.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 3, 2012 7:12 PM   in reply to KimberlyGabriel

It could be that your printer drivers have not been updated for Mt. Lion.   Since they are old they may never be updated.  Since on a Mac, believe you are at mercy of Apple as you can not update drivers from the web site.  At least that is the way it is with video drivers.  If that is the case, and I am no expert on this, you might save the rest of your hair if you bought a new printer.

Go the the Kodak and Canon websites and see what they have for printer drivers for Mt. Lion.  If they have none you know what to do. If there are some then check the OS to see if Apple has included them.  Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 9:05 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt,

The printer driver situation on the Mac is nothing like the one with video card drivers.

Printer drivers for the Mac and their updates are supplied directly to the users by every printer manufacturer individually.

Why Apple decided not to allow the same for video drivers is beyond comprehension.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 9:07 PM   in reply to Curt Y

On the other hand, Mac OS 10.8.x richly deserves its popular sobriquet:  Mountain Poop. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 4:45 AM   in reply to KimberlyGabriel

Kimberly,

each printer comes with a couple of built in test pages, maybe text, an image

and patterns. An inkjet should contain nozzle check patterns.

I would try these tests first.

The next step would printing external pages which were designed for printer

tests, for instance p.4 of this doc:

http://www.fho-emden.de/~hoffmann/a3gencolorhigh.pdf

Best regards  --Gernot Hoffmann

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 7:00 AM   in reply to KimberlyGabriel

I don’t have a Mac nor an i9900, but looking at Canon’s driver page for the i9900, the last OS that Canon has drivers for is 10.6 Snow Leopard.  With 10.7 Lion, it says there is nothing available, but doesn’t say if the printer works or doesn’t work.  If you switch the OS-selector to Mountain Lion, it says:  “Your model is not supported with OS X v10.8 Mountain Lion.”

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/ i_series/i9900#DriversAndSoftware

So the suggestion to buy a new printer may be a more satisfying option, and instead of putting the printer on the curb, just put it up on CraigsList.  It may still work with Windows.  And instead of blaming Apple, realize that the printer became obsolete during its period of non-use and Canon has quit rewriting drivers for it for the newer Mac operating systems.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to KimberlyGabriel

Tell Santa to look @Epson printers. Even though I shoot w/a Canon I've been very impressed with the Epson printer I use @work. Printer drivers are a shaky lot across all OS's so I'd make up my mind to hammer whatever you buy in the first few weeks of ownership. Shake out the bugs early, if things don't work you can act within 30-90 days and either return or replace under warranty...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points