Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Help with a matte and chroma key

Dec 3, 2012 8:53 PM

blue eye.jpg

I have a video of this eye ( smaller ) and the iris changes color...and i want to be able to

have a back ground video where only the eye including the eyelashes  are transparent so i can have another video behind it.

Problem is that the white of the eyeball and the eyelid is too close and when i try to chroma key out the white between the eylashes and the eyelid

and the white area below the eyelashes cause the inside area ( eyeball ) to go transparent.

What i want is the only the eyeball and eyelashes ( eyelashes crisp and distinctive ) so the background video can be seen even between the eylashes

and the surrounding area.

What i was thinking and tried was to mask the black part of the eyelashes closest to the white eyeball and then change the white inbetween the eyelashes and surrounding to another color and then chroma key it out. After many filters and masks it became obvious to me that i dont know what i am doing and it seems like it should be a simple process.

Any help is well appreciated...as usual:-)

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2012 6:14 AM   in reply to Soshman

I think what you want is not a chroma key thing at all, but rather a " mask " that you can use to make area transparent ( you can make the eye transparent or the area outside of eye ( surrounding the eye ) transparent.

And it is not simple to do. And it may be very complicated depending on how much your camera and the eye is 'moving' in the video. Each movement requires that the 'mask' changes.

For me the easiest way to demonstrate this was using photoshop and I only did the mask to make the area around eye transparent. That selection I made to create 'mask' per se was saved as you can see in the channels..and one channel is selected  in sample below to show you the channel ( saved selection ) that I made.

Each time your camera or eye moves the mask you make from this sort of thing will need to 'move' to accomodate the movement of camera and eye. In a way what you may end up doing is rotoscoping every frame of your video to do what I think you want to do. Or you can use a tracking matte and see how that works out.

Basically the file I have made in PSD ( with channels you see ) ...would have to be manipulated a bit more to create the 'mask' as a layer you would import to your editor.  For example I could create a new file and drag the channel into that new file and do that as a layer you can then import.

sample of what I did to illustrate is below. I don't use AE but you might be able to do this in AE. Others can help you with that.

screenshot eye copy.jpg

ps

what I used in PSD was the selection tool with different tolerances.. basically you use the selection tool and keep 'adding' to the selection ( shift key ) with different tolerances so you dont end up getting any of the eye selected...and you have to do that in between the eyelashes as needed also...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 10:21 AM   in reply to Soshman

You're welcome. Was fun to help out and I hope it leads to solution for you. Sounds like you might want to separate the iris from the rest of image too...and also the spectral highlight of ' photo light ' on iris so that it stays in same place as iris spins. If you don't spin it too fast you should maintain the nice radial lines and definition in the iris... so it doesn't blur out too much in the spinning and your export.

So maybe another 'layer' for the iris and another one for the spectral highlight...Then you can 'position' ( spin- rotate ) the iris and change colors along the way...and the background video plays in transparent area in background...

My immediate reaction to the spinning iris idea was to use Maya ( then use that exported video in the iris mask ) but since I've never tried anything like that in editor I really have no clue what would look best. And I never made an eyeball in maya either, so I'm at a loss to help further at this point. Good luck !

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 7:05 AM   in reply to Soshman

hiya. sorry, i dont use cs6. and i think there's a hardware forum here to help with mouse or video card probs. or maybe someone else here can help you out...

good luck !

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points