Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Outputting to a photo minilab

Dec 3, 2012 8:29 PM

Bit of a long story, but I need to output something I've designed in InDesign to a photo minilab. It is text and color graphics. I downloaded the lab's ICC profile.  But I'm not sure what to with it. Can anyone advise me on the correct color management settings to use, and how to prepare the file for sending off to them? I assume JPEG is the best (only?) option for format. I'm using CS4 on a Mac.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2012 9:22 AM   in reply to MarieMeyer

I've never sent an ID layout to a photo minilab, but I would guess you are correct that if you export a jpeg they'll process it just like any other jpeg.

If you know the profile they use for output, I would assign it to the document: Edit > Assign Profiles...  You'll have to install it on the system, first, of course. I'm a Windows user so I could probably figure out how to do that if I were sitting in front of a Mac, but I can't just rattle off how to do it here I'm afraid. Presumably it is RGB, but whatever space, make sure all of your native elements are in that color space, i.e. if the profile is RGB you'll want to define all the colors as RGB and if it's CMYK you'll want to define colors in CMYK.

One useful thing you could do would probably be to choose Web for the intent when you create the file if you need to work in RGB. Doing that defines all of the default swatches as RGB for you.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to MarieMeyer

I think for CS4 it's sound advice.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,123 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Dec 4, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to MarieMeyer

The work around is to output to PDF then open that in PS

If you export to the PDF/X-4 preset and then open the exported PDF into Photoshop you'll get the option to convert the PDF into AdobeRGB, or if you choose RGB Color, into your current Color Settings' Working RGB space.

The PDF/X-4 standard forces every object to be profiled, so your ID layout  objects could be RGB or CMYK and they will get correctly converted into your Lab's profile if you set it as the Working RGB space in Photoshop and select RGB Color when you open the PDF.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,123 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Dec 4, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to MarieMeyer

Should I have the minilab's ICC profile set as my working RGB space in InDesign when doing the design?

I don't think it matters. You could use your normal RGB editing space (AdobeRGB?) and then any RGB objects would get converted into the Lab's RGB space when you open the PDF into RGB Color. I doubt you would see any appearance change unless you were out on the edge of the Lab's RGB gamut

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points