Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why are clipping masks made during a Place/Embed?

Dec 3, 2012 8:49 PM

Illustrator CS6 (all updates)

I have a simple, clean logo with a couple of compound paths (letters like the 'e', 'A').  There are no clipping paths.  Everything works great in that file if I save it, re-open and edit it, etc.

If I "Place" or drag this file into a brand new, blank file, and then "Embed" the artwork, it creates 2 clipping masks the size of the artboard.  More importantly, it messes up the compound paths so that I have to select them and use the 'Unite' shape mode to get it to function properly.  I can see this by trying to add a stroke to the letters.. the stroke is broken until I use the Unite button.  Even undoing the compound path and redoing it doesn't work.  In the attached image, you can see how a corner is broken , as well as how neither 'inside' nor 'outside' is available for the embedded version. 

What gives?

Thanks,

Eric

illustratorquestion.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 3, 2012 9:29 PM   in reply to wemims

First that looks like abug to me, it definitelyshould not happen.

But what You might want to do until the matter comes to the attention of Adobe is to outline the stroke that seems to be breaking apart. Save it as a copy of your original and place the copy withthe outlined stroke as your art in the other documents.

But that sure looks like a bug to me unless someone else has a better explanation.

You can also try copy and paste though I do not see why that wpould make a difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 5:31 AM   in reply to wemims

And what does the "weird field of text" say? Something about the file you are importing having been saved without PDF comaptibility?

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 6:28 AM   in reply to JETalmage

here is an image, JET. 

On left is screenshot from new file I just made (made one cyan rectangle.. simple) and saved as CS6 .ai with all options unchecked.  Then created another new file with identical settings and dragged this one into it.  What you see is the field of text.  Thanks, Eric

edit: I should mention that this may or may not be a related issue... just found it while trying to figure out the clip group issue... it looks like when I drag in any file and embed that it uses its original artboard extents and makes clipping groups, etc.. but it also screws up strokes (expands them sometimes as well as what I show above).  So just how do people bring in art into new files??  thanks again ( this was sent from my other adobe account, by the way.) - Eric

illustratorissue2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 7:14 AM   in reply to postalgbv

Did you read the text? What you are "Placing" by the technique you are using is the PDF portion of the AI file. You said you unchecked all the options and when you do there is no PDF portion to place and you get the text warning. Copy/paste will do what you want in most cases to get the AI portion of a file from one to the next.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 7:29 AM   in reply to wemims

If you hold down the shift key when you drag a file from either the desktop or from another file it will embed instead of linking.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 8:03 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Thanks, Larry.  So dragging a file or Placing a file into a new file only uses the PDF portion?  This is something I had no idea about.  I suppose that could be causing the original problem as well?  I am fairly well versed in Illustrator, but come from more of a CAD background, and I am used to being able to drag and drop files in and everything staying in native format..  why would you want to drag in only the PDF portion (with expanded strokes, clip groups, cropped to artboards, etc)?   Is there a place/switch where I can change this behaviour? 

Thank you for your message,

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to postalgbv
    ... So dragging a file or Placing a file into a new file only uses the PDF portion?  ...

No, this doesn't create any new problems. The problems were already there created previously by this:

... I ...  saved as CS6 .ai with all options unchecked

when you uncheck the "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" when saving as PDF you are basically changing the file the way you see it when you open it again in Illustrator. Paths are cut, clipping masks added, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to emil emil

I apologize for the confusion.. it is my fault that I brought 2 separate issues into the thread. 

To clarify, the original issue in the first post is using a file that is properly saved (ie. pdf compatible is turned on, etc).  All I want to do is drag and drop or Place a clean, good AI file into a new one and not have these clipping masks, expanding strokes, broken linework, etc..  File is an .AI file, never saved as a PDF and not saved with options turned off (I had only done that as a test, which led me to that other question which is now answered).

Regards,

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to postalgbv

I apologize too, because although different issues were mentioned, I didn't read carefully what I quoted from you, I'll check

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 9:30 AM   in reply to postalgbv

when you drag an .AI file and drop it on a open .AI file in Illustrator, which is equivalent to File > Place,  it becomes linked. You can't edit the content of  linked files directly because they are supposed to be edited externally and update when changed. So, Illustrator is using means to isolate the linked file from editing its content and provide means for the linking feature. These means  are provided by "Create PDF Compatible file" option when you save the .AI file. If you save an .AI file without this option and try using it as a link you will get that weird text instead. With this option checked you will be able to use the file as a link in another .AI file.  Also have in mind that if you embed a linked file this will not equal copy from one open file to another. Embedding may alter objects with non-basic appearance. For example if the linked file has envelope distort, embedding it will result in expanding the envelope which will produce a clipping mask group.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to emil emil

Emil, thank you for your thorough explanation.  So should I conclude from this that if one wants an exact version of art in another file (without it being Linked), then the only way is to open the original and copy/paste into the new file?

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to postalgbv

yes,

and this comes with several options too .

If "Paste Remembers Layers" is checked on the menu of the Layer's panel the content will be pasted on the existing layers with the same names and if locked will ask to unlock them, and if there are no existing layers with the same names in the destination file they will be created during the paste. If "Paste Remembers Layers" is unchecked, all of the copied content will be pasted on the currently highlighted layer.

In addition to that Paste, will paste in the center of your view, Past in Front/Back/Place in the same place relative to the x and y coordinates of destination artboard.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to emil emil

Thanks again for your time.  I appreciate everyone's help. 

Regards,

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 11:26 AM   in reply to postalgbv

One more thing that occured to me is that copy/paste as well as any of the other means does not copy the layer's appearance. And so far I don't know a way of saving it and bringing it to another document other than moving or copying the appearance to an object like a group which appearance can be saved or pasted along with the object.

For example in a new empty document, in the Layers panel  you can click the circle in the target column next to the name of the layer so it becomes a double circle. Then you can for example lower the Opacity using the Transparency panel, and you can also make various other alterations of the basic appearance and assign effects. Then all objects  placed in that layer will be affected by the altered appearance but the objects themselves will not be the carriers of this appearance. When you copy paste in a new document this is lost. As a workaround you can create a helper object in a group and move the appearance to the group by dragging the shaded circle of the layer to the circle of the group.

So, as another conclusion it can be said that not everything can be identically transferred from one document to another in one go.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points