Skip navigation
theDesignSavage
Currently Being Moderated

1 Color - but why do I have many variations?

Dec 4, 2012 10:20 AM

Tags: #color #cmyk #rgb

I am having a very frustrating problem with color in Illustrator.

As you can see when I select a color, it appears drastically different in the Color picker preview box, the filled shape and the fill box on the tool bar.

I am using a Wacom Cintiq 24HD. I dont know what color is going to appear when I save because I am seeing three colors!

Please help, Thanks

Screen Shot 2012-12-04 at 9.59.08 AM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to theDesignSavage

In what colour mode is your Illie file?

I suspect you are using CMYK but viewing RGB colour in the picker.

Insted of using the picker I suggest you use the Color and Swatches panels with sliders to match the mode of your file.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to theDesignSavage

The shape's fill and the toolbar fill box will not update until you hit "OK" in the color picker. The color you've selected in the picker will then populate the other two.

If you want to see live results with color changes, you should use the Color palette instead. You can find it under Window > Color.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 11:56 AM   in reply to theDesignSavage

Hmmm...

Do you have View > Proof Colors turned on by any chance, that can cause a differentiation. It doesn't look like you do from your screenshot.

Also, do you have any color calibration profiles active on your system? Not sure what version of Illustrator you are using, but I know in the past I've had problems with Adobe interface elements (picker, toolbar swatch) rendering per the monitor profile and the document objects rendering accurately to the document profile. This causes them to look different.

It looks like CS6 has fixed the issue and they all render accurate to the document profile in my program.

Joe

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to theDesignSavage

Which RGB profile are you using in your document? I tried to re-create your issue and was getting some interesting results. My Illy was also producing a different preview/shape color. However my CMYK values were calculating differently, and I was recieving an "Out of Gamut" warning in my Color Picker (which yours is not showing).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 12:08 PM   in reply to theDesignSavage

The new color swatch in the Color Picker is not color managed - I've been repeating this like a broken record every time this comes.

The new color swatch always displays the colors in the color space of your monitor and if its profile is different than the color space of the document you will see the difference.

People who don't have custom monitor profile and use the default sRGB profile assigned by the system, when using RGB document created by default in the sRGB color space will not see this problem. They always see the colors wrong but consistent, unless they assign another RGB color space to the document other than sRGB by using Edit > Assign Profile and then on top of seeing wrong colors in general they will also see a difference between the new Color swatch and the resulting color.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to emil emil

Forgot to say that while, new/old swatch in the Color Picker is not reliable because it was badly designed, the fill color in the Tools and Color panel if properly working should match the color in the document and it doesn't on your screen shot. So, there are two separate issues here, the new/old color swatch in the Color Picker which is by design and there is noting you can do about it and the other is the difference between the color in the document and the fill color displayed in the Tools and Color panel which is not normal and can be something wrong with your document, preferences, or broken color management on Illustrator or System level.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 8:10 PM   in reply to theDesignSavage

Make some tests to find out if this is affecting only one document, or all documents but only Illustrator, or also other color managed programs like Photoshop.

If it is only one document it could be corrupted.

If it is Illustrator its preferences could be corrupted and resetting them is the first thing to try.

If the problem is with broken color management on system level  you will have similar issues with other color managed programs. On system level this can be caused by a corrupted monitor profile if you created one yourself or using a manufacturer profile. In such case you have to create a new monitor profile. It is also possible the problem to be caused by the video card and/or its driver. Also make some tests to see if it is a simple video card redraw glitch by moving some panels over the swatches in the tools and color panels or moving those panels themselves.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 9:42 PM   in reply to theDesignSavage

Clearly something else is hppening besides jsut he settings all you have to do is look athe swatch panel to see that the colors are not correct.

i do not think there is any setting that would cause such a result.

That fifth swatch at the top left is a bright red not a dirty orange.

I would say you have conflict or a corruption first of all and once you get rid of that you can better assess your problem.

here this is what I get on my monitor and it is the way it should be working for the OP

Screen Shot 2012-12-07 at 12.39.35 AM.png

Might even be a hardware issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 2:36 PM   in reply to theDesignSavage

You shoud create a new useer account and log into that account on the Mac and see if the problem goes away you might have a corrupt profile on your current user account on the Mac side.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points