Skip navigation
TmpArt1
Currently Being Moderated

Selling an Old version of Photoshop

Dec 4, 2012 11:53 AM

Tags: #cs3 #old_version_of_ps #selling_used_software

Buried in the EULA are the parameters to sell an older version of Photoshop (or any CS product).  Included in these requirements is a little line that says you must have the original proof of purchase, which, if it was bought at a brick and mortar store, will be the cash register receipt.  Well, I bought CS3 five years ago from Best Buy.  Now that I have bought CS6 for Apple, I don't need the older version, which is still perfectly usable and a wonderful product.  But I do not have the cash register receipt.  Therefore, per the EULA, I cannot sell this copy of photoshop to another without that piece of paper.

Does anyone know how this can be handled at this point, or am I screwed?  I love photoshop, but Adobe is pretty awful in terms of customer care.  I don't even know if I can donate it to a school, my family or anyone else.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2012 1:12 PM   in reply to TmpArt1

Did you use your CS3 license to upgrade to CS6? If you did, I don't believe you can sell it...

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,982 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2012 2:50 PM   in reply to TmpArt1

TmpArt1 wrote:

No.  This was a stand alone full version of CS3 for windows.  I bought a Mac and got a whole new full version of CS6. 

Yes but is the new full version an Upgrade $200 copy  or a full new licenced $700 copy. If you Upgrade your CS3 Full version to a Full CS6 version you can not not sell your CS3.  

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 6:53 PM   in reply to TmpArt1

I think you could have done a "cross upgrade" from Windows PS CS3  to Mac PS CS6 for $199.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 8:44 PM   in reply to TmpArt1

No receipt, no proof of ownership. For all Adobe knows, this could be a forged version from some dark place. It's the same why you probably didn't make the platform swap as the otehrs suggested - for that, too , you would have needed proof of purchase. So more or less you should simply write it off, but of course you can inquire with sales support...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 4:51 AM   in reply to TmpArt1

I guess the best advice is to hold on to your proof of purchase and register your CS6 with Adobe so this does not happen again. Also make sure you check upgrade eligibility next time you purchase a new version of Photoshop.

But, if you have a full license for CS3 that was not used for an upgrade, and is registered with Adobe, I would certainly call Customer Support to see what they say about transferring your older version.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points