Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Preserving clip markers between machines

Dec 4, 2012 11:34 AM

I work on a project on both a a laptop and desktop, and keep the project file synced with Dropbox. They each have their own copies of the source footage.

I create markers on one machine; how do I get them to show up when I open the project on the other? I transfer the project file to my desktop, and the markers are all gone.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to benwinter

Exactly how do you create the markers?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 4:53 PM   in reply to benwinter

As long as you save the project, and Dropbox has updated it, and you're opening the updated version, you will see the markers.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 5:14 PM   in reply to benwinter

Works fine here.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 7:04 PM   in reply to benwinter

I am.  I'd be surprised if that's relevant, though.  The project file is the project file, and if it contains sequence markers, they'll be there.  My bet is operator error on this one.  You're not saving the changes, you're not waiting for Dropbox to upload the file, you're not opening the new version with the markers...something.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 8:36 PM   in reply to benwinter

Works fine here transfering between macs. Even if the media is in a different location and needs re-linking the markers are still there.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 8:48 PM   in reply to benwinter

I think we posted our last two comments at almost the same time, after I read your second comment I thought I'd better do another test just to double check, and yeah, the markers are definitely still there. I did the test using a DnxHD quicktime file, but I know I've had other markers carry across on a number of types of media.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 5:51 AM   in reply to benwinter

Hi Ben,

Thanks for all the info and updates.  It's been conventional wisdom around here that keeping the folder structure from the camera absolutely intact is required to edit the footage properly, i.e., no audio sync or spanned file issues.  You've apparently discovered a case where doing that actually harms the edit in a project. 

Would you mind doing one more test?  If you have any spanned clips from your C300 -- ones where a single MXF file couldn't hold the entire video clip and it had to be split between 2 or more MXF files -- would you please test how those clips react to being moved into a different folder without their extra files?

Thanks,

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 9:14 AM   in reply to benwinter

Because an xmp file already exists, Premiere loads the metadata created by the camera instead of the one it usually creates itself upon import. No marker data in the camera, so no markers.

That seems more coincidental than causal.  PP's sequence markers are stored in the project file, not the XMP sidecar.  And all works fine with AVCHD, which also has a labyrinthine folder structure.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to benwinter

I saw that. He's talking about clip markers.  I misread your earlier post and thought you were setting sequence markers here.  That makes the difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to benwinter

Ben I'm having the same issue.  I edit on two macs and lose markers (as well as some -- but not all -- info I type in metadata fields) when I relink.  I edit 5d QT files natively, though I don't preserve the card structure when I put new footage onto my drives (yeah, I know).

It's a huge pain... I like watching and logging before I edit... I tap 'm' all the time... and then it gets lost.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 2:58 PM   in reply to Cyrus Dowlatshahi

BTW I have "Write XMP ID to Files on Import" and "Enable Clip and XMP Metadata Linking" both checked on both machines.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 4:20 PM   in reply to Cyrus Dowlatshahi

Well I have conducted one successful test.

On my Mac Pro, I have one folder on an HD that I point all of the cache prefs to.  After Effects, Premiere... they then create their own folders in that folder (these folders are "Media Cache", "Media Cache Files", "256", "1024", "After Effects Cache" etc).

My Adobe apps on my Laptop create all their cache files in a folder on a portable HD I bring along with me, so I copied the cache files from my Mac Pro to this folder.

When I relinked the media on my Laptop, the markers I created on my Mac Pro were there.  I then deleted the cache, relaunched the app, and they were STILL there (so that's good). 

Settings: as I mentioned, I have "Write XMP ID to Files on Import" and "Enable Clip and XMP Metadata Linking" enabled on both machines, and "Save Media Cache files next to originals when possible" UNchecked on both machines.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2014 1:54 PM   in reply to Cyrus Dowlatshahi

I've just experienced the same issue working with Sony FS700 .MST files.   If you preserve the original file structure, the marker info will not carry across.  You'll have to re-copy the footage from the machine you added the markers on.   On the FS700 footage the marker info is stores in a .CPI file with each clip. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points