Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

After an upgrade, is the older version of indesign still available to create documents?

Dec 4, 2012 1:13 PM

If I upgrade from my standalone Indesign CS3 to the standalone Indesign CS6, will it still be possible to create a document using CS3? I am not a design professional and hire freelancers from time to time; it’s my impression that currently the freelance universe of those using CS3 is still significantly larger than CS6 [obviously that will change over time]. Even though I’m happy to upgrade to CS6 [and would need to do so by Dec. 31st], I would like to have the option of creating a document in CS3, so that those freelancers who still use CS3 could read it. Thanks in advance for you help with this question [PS - my computers run Windows XP professional SP3].

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2012 1:22 PM   in reply to Tschurin2

Your CS6 installation does not do anything to alter the usability of your CS3 installation. You should be very careful, though, about saving older files in CS6. If you overwrite the CS3 version you will not be able to open them in the old version again. There are also enough reports of odd problems trying to update legacy files by opeing them directly in a new version since CS5 that I strongly recommend if you wish to migrate any of your files from CS3 to CS6 that you export them form CS3 to .inx, then open the .inx in CS6 and save as a new .indd file with a new name so the original is not overwritten.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

A few other caveats worth pointing out:

1) Were you expecting to be able to double-click on CS3 files to open 'em up in CS3, and to double-click on CS6 files to open in CS6? Unfortunately, that doesn't work without a third-party tool. I have simply developed the habit of dropping icons onto shortcuts for the four versions of ID I use on a daily basis, but given how long it took me to train myself to do that, I probably should have just bought the tool.

2) Regarding Peter's suggestion:

I strongly recommend if you wish to migrate any of your files from CS3 to CS6 that you export them form CS3 to .inx, then open the .inx in CS6 and save as a new .indd file with a new name so the original is not overwritten.

I would say that, unless there is a really compelling reason to migrate a file to CS6, don't bother, just keep working in CS3. I don't know what kind of product you handle or why you work with freelancers but if you migrate something to CS6, then if you ever need to revise that INDD with a freelancer still using CS3, you won't be able to. Backsave (export to INX/IDML) only goes back one version.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Joel Cherney wrote:

Backsave (export to INX/IDML) only goes back one version.

This needs some clarification. Up until CS4 the interchange format was .inx, and it was, indeed only backward compatible one version. When CS4 was released a new format was itroduced, .idml, and .idml files from all versions of ID from CS4 to CS6 (and we expect new versions as they are released) can be opened in any version of ID from CS4 forward. This does not mean that your file will look the same in an earlier version, however. There are differnces in the text engines from version to version, as well as new fetures that have been introduced, and any fetures in your files that are not supported in an earlier version will be ignored and lost.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to Tschurin2

CS3 is the earliest version from which you can upgrade to CS6, and will not be eligble for upgrade to CS7 whn it is released, probably sopmetime next spring giventhe normal release cycle. You other option is to subscribe to Creativ Cloud.

CS6 can do everything that can be done in CS3, plus a lot more.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 5:44 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Worth noting:

1.       The upgrade path from CS3 ends on December 31.

2.       Creative Cloud intro pricing appears to be just about permanent at $29.99/month for the first year.

With Creative Cloud the OP will get a subscription to Muse. Anyone familiar with InDesign should be pretty comfortable designing websites with it.

Full details on Adobe’s special offer page:http://www.adobe.com/products/discount-software-coupons.html

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points