Skip navigation
rodholm
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom v2 won't read RAW files from Sony A77

Dec 4, 2012 12:57 PM

Hi there - just got a new Sony A77 but Lightroom v2 won't read RAW files when I try to import them.  I know I need to upgrade my version of LR (I will be going to v4) but... is there ANYTHING else I need to do or to upgrade in order to ensure Lightroom 4 will read those Sony RAW files?  Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to rodholm

I don't keep track of what cameras are supported in what versions.  But, IF your camera is supported by the latest DNG converter, you could use it to create digital negative copies of your images.  Those DNG files can then be opened in the version that you have now.  You won't get anywhere near the development quality that you will get with Lightroom 4, but at least you can work on your images with what you have now.

And if Lightroom 4 supports your camera, that is the only thing you can do to "ensure" that you can use your files.  Of course, if you modify them now with the version that you have, you can leave them with those adjustments when you upgrade to Lightroom 4, but if you want to use the new adjustments and the improved develop tools you'll probably have to basically start over on any images that you want to convert to the new PV 2012.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Dec 5, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to rodholm

Here's the list of which cameras are supported in each version: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cam eras.html

The good news is the A77 has been supported since 3.5, so you should be fine.  It would be worth jumping straight to LR 4.2 or 4.3 RC, rather than installing 4.0 first, as you'll avoid a few bugs.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to rodholm

Just in the last week I've started haveing problems with this too.  It started with 3.6 so I upgraded to 4.2 and it didn't fix the problem.

I have changed memory cards, cameras, ports, cables, and even copied the files to a different stroage format, but nothing.

If I take the same card to my netbook that I use in the field, no problems whatsoever.

I use a Sony a77 and an a550.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 11:05 AM   in reply to EyeoftheJungle

EyeoftheJungle wrote:

Just in the last week I've started haveing problems with this too.

You'll have to be more specific - the problem the OP in this thread had is purely that he's using a too-old version of Lr for the A77.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

Keith,

I was very specific if you readthe full post.  I said I have LR4.2,  and described what I have already done.  Only thing I didn't day was that I'm on a PC with Vista.

LR4.2 won't read the files either.  Message is "following items weren't imported because the files couldn't be read."

So yes, older version, but same problem with newest version.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Dec 7, 2012 12:41 AM   in reply to EyeoftheJungle

Similar problem, but a completely different cause (which would usually be better on its own thread).  LR4.2 supports the files, but that "couldn't be read" error message usually means "couldn't be written" which points to a folder permissions issue on the folder or drive you're trying to import them into.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 3:33 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Yes, thanks.  Finally got a hold of a tech for Lightroom and once we changed the destination folder it imported with no problem.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 3:51 AM   in reply to EyeoftheJungle

EyeoftheJungle wrote:

Keith,

I was very specific if you readthe full post.

I did, you weren't - the "same" problem was nothing of the sort, was it..?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points