Skip navigation
Judysurf
Currently Being Moderated

Blacklight pictures

Dec 4, 2012 2:30 PM

Hello! I have a problem!

I made pictures with blacklight and they have a nice surreal blue color. But when I import them into InDesign they totally lose their color and are almost grey...WHY?? Thanks a lot!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2012 4:31 PM   in reply to Judysurf

I'm guessing the blacklight effect is somewhat neon or glowing? Is your Photoshop file in RGB? What file format are you placing into InDesign?

In InDesign you can try toggling on/off the Proof Colors and Overprint Preview (from the View menu). You may have a bigger issue at-hand though. Is this going to be a file you eventually print? Certain effects (such as glows, neon/lights, anything with extremely vibrant colors) can be very hard to achieve in print. This is why things like Overprint Preview and Proof Colors will give you a muddy/flat look: it's the program's way of telling you your file may not translate past a digital format.

Unfortunately it just comes down to the difference between digital and print media. Digital will always be able to do some things that print can't.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 6:54 AM   in reply to Judysurf

Which is your target Color Space?

Could you post screenshots of the image and its Indesign preview?

Digital will always be able to do some things that print can't.

»Digital« seems a terribly imprecise term here if the difference between additive and subtractive color reproduction should be what’s meant.

And for completeness’ sake: Certain effects can be achieved in printing that are pretty much not possible on a computer screen at current.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2012 10:46 AM   in reply to Judysurf

That's not a difference in "digital" vs. "print" so much as a difference in color space gamut.

There are special ways to get extremely saturated colors in print.  I have a piece of junk mail on my desk right now that's almost exactly the deep electric blue color of the first image you posted above.

I'm not an expert at CMYK printing, however, but I'm sure there are experts here who can guide you through the use of "spot colors" or whatever it will take to get that color printed.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 11:28 PM   in reply to Judysurf

First off: Fogra 27? Has the printer specifically asked for this basically obsolete Color Space?

Based on the profile I assume you work in Europe, so you may want to check out the more current standards.

http://www.eci.org/doku.php?id=en:downloads

• When working on RGB images View > Gamut Warning can help identify colors that are out of gamut and View > Proof Setup (with the appropriate settings) can provide a preview for the specific target space (its significance naturally dependent on your screen and your calibrating discipline). Window > Arrange > New Window … can be used to view the same image with different Proof Setups.

• In some cases it pays off to try different Render Intents (under Edit > Convert to Profile, this can also be set in the Proof Setup), but usually only »Relative Colorimetric« and »Perceptual« make sense. In this case the difference seems not terribly prominent, though. If you find a better option than the one set in the Color Settings for Indesign you can either separate in Photoshop and place the profiled CMYK-file or change the setting for the individual placed RGB-image in the indd-file.

• Doing something like your image with spot colors seems not only a hassle but somewhere between hard and impossible to reliably proof so in this case I would recommend using a couple of Adjustment Layers (Hue/Saturation, Selective Color, Curves) in the RGB file to reduce magenta.

gamutIssuesScr.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 2:51 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

In addition to c.pfaffenbichlers correct and useful advice:

These blues are extremely out of gamut for any CMYK space.

The automatic gamut compression (relcol or perceptual) leads always

to a magenta cast. This is a general and well known bug, which results

from a linear interpolation path in CIELab. A line of constant perceptual

hue (here blue) is not linear but curved.

In order to make the image printable by Offset, here defined by

ISOCoated v2 (eci)

it's necessary to modify hue, saturation and lightness. Very effective

(as well for blue skies) is a hue rotation towards cyan (which has

been applied by c.pf. as well, in my opinion). Of course it's not

compulsory to use layers.

Here comes a result. Modifications applied. Soft-Proof On. Gamut warning Off.

extremblau-1.jpg

The next image shows that there are still areas out of gamut, as indicated by

vibrant magenta. In cases like here that's IMO tolerable.

Modifications applied. Soft-Proof On. Gamut warning On.

extremblau-2.jpg

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points