Skip navigation
SoooGood
Currently Being Moderated

Color turns Grayscale when converted from RGB to CMYK?!

Dec 4, 2012 3:14 PM

Tags: #illustrator #color #cmyk #rgb #grayscale #conversion #transparencies #multiply #coler

I have a complex pattern, that looks brilliant with a color layer. However, it was originally created RGB.

Screen shot 2012-12-04 at 2.31.32 PM.png

I converted the color to CMYK for print, and all the color disappears! Not that the layer is deleted, but the color layer appears Grayscale. The only area where color shows up are in the pieces that are at 50% transparency (see purple diamond). I have all my color areas set to CMYK including the color pallet.

Screen shot 2012-12-04 at 2.31.47 PM.png

The color will show if I set the layer to multiply, but it doesn't look the same way as it does when its in RGB mode.

Screen shot 2012-12-04 at 2.33.29 PM.png

I've never come across this before, any help would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2012 4:02 PM   in reply to SoooGood

Object > Rasterize with the required print resolution and then convert to CMYK.

Different blending modes give different results in the RGB and CMYK color spaces and they have to be redone for each if they have to remain as vector objects.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 4:31 PM   in reply to SoooGood

Yes, I know

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 4:43 PM   in reply to SoooGood

Release the clipping mask, deselect its path, rasterize the rest, then apply the clipping mask using the same path in the raster image.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 4:47 PM   in reply to SoooGood

You should rasterize after done editing just before printing, You can always keep a copy

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 5:11 PM   in reply to SoooGood

Well, as I mentioned initially, you can redo it, by referring to the RGB and assign new colors and different degrees of opacities so that they are as close as possible to the RGB.

Just curious, what happens if you place (File >  Place ) the RGB file into a new CMYK document, is it still grayscale?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points