Skip navigation
JimGref
Currently Being Moderated

Jerky playback and audio / soundtrack cuts out

Dec 4, 2012 3:45 PM

Tags: #premiere_elements #premiere_elements_10 #elements_10

Am using PrE 10.  Have a project with ~500 clips (son's hockey season).  Lots of problems.  First, it takes 10 minutes to launch the program as it 'loads' all the clips.  Then when I try to edit, the audio will cut out randomly, the playback video will freeze or play in a jerky manner.  Am using an iMac.  Specs as follows on the computer and the video files:  Mac OS X version 10.7.5.  Intel processor 2.93 GHz.  Memory - 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3.  Have a 1TB hard drive with about 250GB free.  All of the files are saved to the internal hard drive.  Using a Canon T3i DSLR camera to take the video.  All the video viles are .MOV format.  The problem exists even when there are only a few clips in the timeline.  There are many clips filed in the 'library', but even if I go to start a new movie and add only 5 clips, it won't play back properly.  Have also started a completely new project and imported only 50 clips.  Same problem.  HELP!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2012 4:48 PM   in reply to JimGref

DSLR is a highly compressed codec, which requires a "strong" computer to decode the compression for editing... an i7 is usually recommended

Also, only one hard drive causes a data flow bottleneck

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing

You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions

Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work

You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand

A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing

You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points