Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign Resolution/PDF/Printing Help

Dec 4, 2012 4:10 PM

Tags: #pdf #resolution #indesign #print #quality #blurry

I am trying to create a PDF of a booklet from InDesign (CS6). The booklet was made from a few different Photoshop files placed into InDesign. The Photoshop files are all 300ppi and when zooming in to "Actual Pixels" are very crisp. However, when I exported my PDF from InDesign the PDF was blurry when viewed at 100% (I exported it as a default High Quality Print). Does InDesign have a default resolution? I could not see anywhere to type in a resolution of my choice when exporting. I am new to InDesign and would appreciate any help on why my PDF is blurry when exported. I am unable to print it to test the print quality as I am taking it to a store to have it made.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2012 5:13 PM   in reply to weasel19

Did you scale the images? The resolution number that matters is the "effective" resolution at the size the image will be printed. You can get that number from either the Link info or the Info panel when a link is selected.

You can set a maximum resolution when you export, but not a minimum. The High Quality Print settings downsample images above 450 effective ppi to 300. You'll find thes settings in the Compression area of the export dialog.

Is there type in these Photshop images? If so you should save them as Photoshop PDF rather than .psd or some other format. That will preserve the vector type in ID and keep it from looking jagged when rendered in the PDF.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points