Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to Turn Dead Space into Path

Dec 5, 2012 1:01 AM

I have the following drawing in illustrator:

Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 1.57.21 AM.png

Right in the middle of the drawing there is a gray area that denotes a transparent part I believe or where there is no path. I'm wondering, how can I change this into a path so I can fill it in with color? (don't want to use Live Paint, creates too many paths). Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

kiss,

It looks like a (selected) path with a grey fill that is partly hidden behind a non selected path with a red fill, the grey are being the unhidden portion.

What happens if you use the Direct Selection Tool and click in the middle of the grey area (you can look at the Layers palette/panel and the Fill Color in the Toolbox, and elsewhare to see)?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

It looks like you've got alot of self-crossing and compounded paths going on there, that do not reverse fills. Can't tell from your screenshot what you're really dealing with.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 5:07 AM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

It's difficult to tell actual construction, but it looks as though you've got a black filled shape lying under a red filled shape. Can't you simply alter the path fo the black shape to cover that area as well?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 6:52 AM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

You can use Adobe Send Now's free service to upload the file and send the file to yourself and then copy the link here so we can download the file.

But you might try this so you cn see what Scott is referring to turn off paths B and C those are separate paths you of course turn off the visibilty in the layers panel.

Then using the selection tool double click path A (the problem path) to enter isolation mode

now check the fill proxy to see if it can be filled also check the appearance panel and expand the fill item to see if there is something unexpected. And the transparency panel as well.

You can show us screen shots if you wish of these panels all while path A is selected and B & C are not visible.

Screen+Shot+2012-12-05+at+1.57.21+AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

It looks like something like this is happening where it is set to a ifferent blending mode

Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 9.55.02 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 2:53 AM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

kiss,

Generally, round the transparent non covered dead parts (actually all the way round the eye, the red and the black (Compound) Paths have coinciding Anchor Points/segments, but not at the parts where there are gaps.

If I understand your detailed aim in the right way, for each gap/segment you may:

0) Lock the black and red paths in between the following so you can find them again, and unlock them temporarily when needed;

1) Direct Select the segment of the black path and Ctrl/Cmd+C+F+X+F to get an independent open path;

2) Move 1) just below the red compound path in the Layers palette stacking order and Pathfinder>Unite (or Add to shape area or whatever it is called in your version, maybe pressing the Alt/Option key to get a simple (compound) path.

More crudely, you could also just place a larger red object beneath everything else to undercover all the gaps.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 6:29 AM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

the way I understand what you want can be done like this:

Click on the black color to select it then choose Select > Same > Fill Color

Press (Shift + Ctrl + Alt + 3) to hide all others and you will get what is shown on the left side of the image below.

Pick the pencil tool (N) and draw a rough path like the one shown on the right side of the image below.

Select all (Ctrl + A), open the Pathfinder panel and press the first (Unite) button.

Press (Ctrl + Alt + 3) to show hidden.

Capture.JPG

If using a mac Ctrl = Cmd, Alt = Option

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points